This strawberry compote recipe is made with fresh strawberries and only two other ingredients! And not only does this fruit compote taste delicious, but it has the perfect jam-ish texture and fresh fruit chunks are in every bite of it. It makes the perfect topping for bread, waffles, cheesecakes, ice cream, and more!
Table of Contents
The Best Strawberry Compote
If you're looking to put some fresh strawberries to good use, this homemade strawberry compote recipe is everything you need. It's so fresh, sweet, and filled with a deliciously bright strawberry flavor.
If you've never heard of fruit compotes, they're a little different than jam and jelly. Usually, compotes have larger pieces of real fruit in them, and that's true for this homemade strawberry compote recipe as well.
The texture makes it ideal for putting on things like waffles, biscuits, vanilla bean ice cream, and cheesecake. And this strawberry sauce practically goes with any type of bread or dessert that you can think of. So it's perfect for serving alongside a brunch spread or dessert table.
But you don't have to put this on anything, and it's delicious to eat just with a spoon!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Quick to make. All of the ingredients cook in one pot, and the entire recipe takes just 15 minutes.
The flavor. Think of the best strawberry jam or strawberry jelly you've ever had. This is like that but a hundred times better!
Simple ingredients. Unlike jam or jelly, you only need a handful of basic ingredients to make the perfect compote.
Versatile. You can literally put this delicious strawberry topping on everything, and you'll never run out of uses.
As I mentioned earlier, you only need 3 ingredients to make this recipe, and those ingredients are:
- 3 cups (500g) of Fresh Strawberries
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 Lemon, juiced
How To Make Strawberry Compote
1. Prep: Clean and trim the strawberries and cut them in halves or thirds.
2. Cook: Transfer the cut strawberries, sugar, and lemon to a pot and heat it over medium heat. Let the strawberries cook for around 15 minutes, breaking them slightly with a wooden spoon, stirring frequently.
3. Serve: Remove from the heat and transfer to a resealable glass jar. Use warm or chill in the fridge, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Simmer the mixture longer for a thicker compote.
- Stir the compote every minute or so to prevent it from burning.
- Use frozen strawberries if that's all you have on hand. Just thaw first before cooking.
- Use a sugar free sweetener for a healthy compote.
- Add orange or lemon zest to the compote to brighten up the flavor.
- Add freshly grated ginger to give the compote a little bite.
How To Store Strawberry Compote
In the fridge: If you didn't use this compote immediately, then it should already be in an airtight glass jar or container. To store, wait for the compote to cool completely, then put the sealed jar in the fridge, where it will last for 2 weeks.
In the freezer: If you want to keep it for longer, you can store the compote in a freezer-safe jar or container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
FAQS ABOUT THIS STRAWBERRY COMPOTE RECIPE
What is strawberry compote made of?
It is a fresh, sauce-like fruit mixture made with fresh strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Other fruit competes can be made with any fruit or a mix of fruit. They sometimes have additional ingredients in them, like honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, and even chia seeds.
What makes a fruit compote?
Cooking chunks of fruit in a saucepan with some sort of sugar until it reduces is what makes a compote. Compotes are never made with pectin or other thickening agents found in jelly. The texture of a compote is like syrup with fruit chunks, making it great to pair with desserts.
How long can you keep strawberry compote?
As I mentioned above, you can keep it for 2 weeks in the fridge or for up to 6 months in the freezer.
More Fruit RecipesPrint
This strawberry compote recipe is made with fresh strawberries and only two other ingredients! And not only does this fruit compote taste delicious, but it has the perfect jam-ish texture too - fresh fruit chunks are in every bite of it. It makes the perfect topping for bread, waffles, cheesecakes, ice cream, and more!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Spread
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Compote
- Clean and trim the strawberries and cut them in halves or thirds.
- Transfer the strawberries, sugar, and lemon to a pot and heat it over medium heat. Let the strawberries cook for around 15 minutes, breaking them slightly with a wooden spoon, stirring frequently.
- The mixture should be bubbly and soft, like a marmalade. If you want it to be thicker, simmer for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a resealable glass jar.
- Serving Size: ⅛ cup
- Calories: 44
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Protein: 0
Keywords: strawberry compote, strawberry compote recipe, easy strawberry compote recipe, best strawberry compote recipe, fruit compote, fruit compote recipe, how to make strawberry compote, compote, compote recipe, strawberry compote for cheesecake, strawberry compote recipe for cheesecake, strawberry compote for cake, strawberry compote for pancakes,