These chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar are downright addictive! They're soft, chewy, sugary, and loaded with chocolate chips in each bite. Luckily, this recipe makes enough to share!
Table of Contents
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you love chocolate chip cookies, then I've got the recipe for you!
These homemade chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar are like a cross between a sugar cookie and a regular chocolate chip cookie. They're deliciously thick and chewy with a sweet, buttery flavor and the perfect amount of chocolate chips. Each bite melts in your mouth and is just addictive!
These chocolate chip cookies with no brown sugar are great if you want to make cookies with a little less sugar but still all of that sweet flavor.
Also, they make the ideal dessert recipe for every occasion, and you'll love how easy they are to make!
Why This Recipe Works
Quick and easy. All you have to do for this chocolate chip cookie recipe is cream the butter, mix the rest of the ingredients, and bake the cookies. Even if this is your first time baking cookies, you'll find the process of this recipe to be effortless!
Family favorite. This is the go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe in the Cunningham household. My wife and I always make them if we need something to bring to our friends or families, and everyone always goes crazy for them!
The flavor and texture. Rich, buttery, and sugary. Thick, soft, and chewy with crisp edges. These are the perfect chocolate chip cookies!
These chewy chocolate chip cookies are made with classic baking ingredients. So you probably have everything you need on hand already!
Check out what you need to make chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 small egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Oh, and you can use many of these ingredients to make this Ghiradelli chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's another one of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes, so you'll want to give that a try sometime!
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 375°F (180°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cream the ingredients: Cream the butter and granulated sugar with an electric beater in a large bowl until the butter mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Add the wet ingredients: Add the egg and vanilla extract to the creamed butter and sugar and beat until smooth and combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients: Fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a rubber spatula until just combined and a cookie dough forms.
5. Finish the chocolate chip cookie dough: Add the chocolate chips to the cookie dough and stir until the chocolate chips are just incorporated. Use a small ice cream scoop to drop the chocolate chip cookie dough balls onto each baking sheet, leaving 3 inches of space between each cookie.
6. Bake: Bake the cookies for 10 minutes until they're slightly golden brown on the edges. Let the cookies cool completely to set, or serve warm right out of the oven.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Use milk chocolate chips, semi sweet chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks for a slightly different chocolate flavor.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to cream the butter mixture to a light and fluffy consistency.
- Make sure to use room temperature butter for the best texture and to make mixing easier.
- Don't overmix the chocolate chip cookie dough. Only mix the ingredients until they just combine.
- Bake the cookies for about 6-8 minutes if you like your cookies underdone for more of a cookie dough flavor.
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack so they have time to set and don't fall apart.
- Double or triple the recipe. No one can eat just one or two of these cookies, they're too good. So if you're serving them to a crowd, you'll need more!
How To Store Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar
At room temperature: Store any leftover chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container or Ziploc bag at room temperature for about 3 days.
In the fridge: You can also store the chocolate chip cookies in the fridge in an airtight container for a week or so.
In the freezer: If you want your chocolate chip cookies to last even longer, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, place them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag, and store them in the coldest part of the freezer. There they'll last for about 8 months.
FAQs About This Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Brown Sugar Recipe
Can I freeze chocolate chip cookie dough?
Yes! Freezing cookie dough is so convenient, so you can whip up these delicious cookies whenever the cravings hit. Just make this recipe up until baking and put the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet in the freezer. Once solid, transfer the frozen cookie dough to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months. Let the frozen cookie dough thaw in the fridge overnight before baking.
Can I make cookies if I don't have brown sugar?
Yes! This recipe is for chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar, and it tastes just as good, if not better, than a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe.
What can I use if I don't have brown sugar for chocolate chip cookies?
You can simply use just granulated sugar if you don't have brown sugar. If you still want that deep caramelly flavor, a mixture of granulated sugar and molasses, maple syrup, or coconut sugar will give you a flavor similar to brown sugar.
What is the purpose of brown sugar in a cookie recipe?
Besides the flavor, brown sugar in chocolate chip cookies creates fewer air pockets in the creaming process. This, in turn, makes chocolate chip cookies that rise less and spread more, giving you thinner cookies.
Does brown sugar make cookies softer?
Yes, brown sugar adds moisture to cookies, making them moister and a little softer.
More Cookie Recipes
- Toll House cookie dough bars
- Small batch sugar cookies
- Double chocolate chocolate chip cookies
- Crumbl Cookies frosted sugar cookies
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
- Sour cream cookies
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to drop the cookie dough balls onto the baking sheet, leaving 3 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes.
- Cool the cookies completely before serving.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g