This homemade McDonald's pancake recipe is so delicious that you'll think you're eating actual McDonald's pancakes! These pancakes have a fluffy center, buttery, crispy outer shell, and a deliciously sweet taste. I guarantee they'll become your family's new favorite breakfast!
Table of Contents
The Best Copycat McDonalds Pancakes
These perfect McDonalds pancakes are super simple to make and are even easier to eat. Honestly, this has to be the best pancake recipe ever. Or at least the best copycat one, anyway.
In my humble opinion, the key to great pancakes is that they should be beautifully crisp and buttery on the outside with a soft, fluffy middle. This McDonald's buttermilk pancakes recipe will give you just that, with regular milk switched for buttermilk to take the taste and fluffiness to a whole new level.
- Dry ingredients - 2 cups flour, 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 good pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoon cane sugar or plain sugar - for a touch of sweetness
- 2 cups buttermilk - for the perfect, fluffy pancakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - for extra flavor
- 2 eggs - this recipe uses 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted - for the pancake batter
By the way, if you want to make soft and fluffy pancakes without baking powder, then check out this pancake recipe without baking powder. And for another restaurant version of pancakes, you can use some of the ingredients to make these IHOP pancakes.
How To Make McDonald's Pancakes
Step 1: Start by combining the sugar, buttermilk, vanilla extract, eggs, and butter in a large bowl. Next, combine the baking powder, flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl and then them into the buttermilk mix. Stir until you have a smooth pancake batter and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Next, heat your skillet or pancake griddle to medium-high heat and grease it with a little butter. This will ensure you get that crispy outer shell that makes this pancake recipe so special.
Step 3: Drop around ¼ cup of the batter onto the skillet or a griddle. Cook the pancakes for 2 minutes per side and flip when you see bubbles popping on the surface.
Step 4: Add your favorite toppings and serve hot. Your very own homemade McDonald's pancakes!
Tips To Make The Best Buttermilk Pancakes
- Grease the surface of the griddle or frying pan with butter for a crisp surface on the pancakes.
- Flip the pancakes when bubbles first appear and pop on the surface.
- Top the pancakes with fresh fruit, fresh berries, banana slices, blueberry syrup, melted chocolate chips, or whipped cream. Or you can even add chocolate chips into the pancake batter to make chocolate chip pancakes!
How To Store and Reheat These Pancakes
First, let the pancakes cool completely, then wrap them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store them in the fridge for about 3 days. To keep the pancakes for longer, you can freeze them on a tray until solid, then transfer the pancakes to a freezer-safe bag, and they'll last for up to 3 months.
For reheating, I like to just microwave the pancakes for about 10 seconds on each side. If you're reheating a few, put them on a baking sheet and warm in the oven at 300°F for about 10 minutes. Just add more time for the frozen pancakes and flip them halfway through reheating.
McDonald's Pancakes Recipe FAQS
Can I double this recipe?
Absolutely! Just double the number of ingredients and cook the batter in two skillets so you can cook it quickly.
Can I make the pancakes ahead of time?
Yes, this is a great make-ahead recipe since the pancakes store so well. Just freeze them for the best leftover quality in a freezer-safe bag with parchment paper between each pancake. You can freeze for 3 months. Then just warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds on each side for a quick breakfast.
Are McDonald's pancakes and McDonald's hotcakes the same thing?
Yes, the pancakes and hotcakes from McDonald's are made with the exact same ingredients and are the same thing, just listed under different names depending on the location.
More McDonald's Copycat Recipes
- Egg McMuffin
- Hash browns
- Chicken nuggets
- Breakfast burrito
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Breakfast sauce
- McDonald's smoothie
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoon cane sugar or plain sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoon butter, melted
- Combine sugar, buttermilk, vanilla extract, eggs, and butter in a bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture.
- Stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat your skillet or pancake griddle to medium-high heat.
- Drop around ¼ cup of the batter onto the skillet or a griddle.
- Cook the pancakes for 2 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with fresh berries and dusted with powdered sugar.
Serving Size:1 pancake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1.4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 8.9gProtein: 7g