This asparagus casserole is covered in a rich, creamy, and cheesy alfredo-like sauce, and then topped with crunchy sliced almonds. As far as easy casserole recipes go, this one has got to be at the top of the list. And you can make it in under 25 minutes by following just a few simple steps!
Table of Contents
THE BEST ASPARAGUS CASSEROLE
Healthy side dishes don't get much better than this healthy asparagus casserole - it is light, super flavorful, and packed with nutrients.
The asparagus is covered in a smooth and creamy sauce with crunchy almonds and melty cheese on top. It is the perfect side to any meal, or you can even enjoy it as a main dish!
Not only is this a delicious and easy recipe, but it's super quick too. You'll only need about 25 minutes from start to finish, and the majority of the time is just waiting for the asparagus to bake. It's about as quick, easy, and delicious as this Doritos casserole and cheesy hashbrown casserole.
Now, if you're looking for something to pair with this easy asparagus casserole recipe, I highly suggest making this southern stuffing or seafood stuffing. They make a great pair for Thanksgiving dinner!
- Asparagus- fresh asparagus, trimmed.
- Butter- salted or unsalted.
- Flour- all-purpose flour.
- Milk- or heavy cream for a richer sauce.
- Cream cheese- for the base of the sauce.
- Garlic powder- for some savory flavor.
- Salt- just a pinch if using unsalted butter.
- Black pepper- for added flavor.
- Parmesan cheese- for the sauce and topping.
- Sliced almond- to top the casserole. Ritz crackers or bread crumbs work too.
How To Make Asparagus Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and butter a 7x11 inch casserole dish.
- Rinse your asparagus, then arrange them in an even layer in the buttered casserole dish.
- Place a small saucepan on your stove over medium heat and melt two tablespoons of butter in it. Add your flour to the pot and whisk continuously for 1 minute. Add in your milk or heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk all of your ingredients until the sauce just starts to thicken, and once it does, remove it from the heat.
- After your pan is off the heat, add in the grated cheese and cream cheese, and stir until everything is incorporated and an alfredo sauce forms. Pour the sauce evenly over the fresh asparagus mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Then sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese and sliced almonds on top.
- Bake your creamy asparagus casserole for about 15-18 minutes or until the asparagus reaches your desired tenderness.
How To Store This Asparagus Casserole
This recipe for old fashioned asparagus casserole will make 6 servings, so if you are making it for a family dinner, you probably won't have any leftovers. But if you do, you can refrigerate your casserole for up to 4 days. To store, either wrap your casserole dish tightly in plastic wrap, put a lid on it if it has one, or transfer everything to an airtight container.
If you have leftovers, you'll definitely want to reheat them. And the best way to reheat this cream asparagus casserole is in the oven. So to reheat, put your casserole back in the oven at 325°F (160°C) for about 10 minutes or until warmed and it reaches your desired temperature.
More Delicious Recipes
If you liked this creamy asparagus casserole as a side dish cuisine, we have some more delicious recipes that you have to try next!
Here are some of our favorites:
- Artichoke casserole
- Cheesy spinach
- Crack chicken casserole
- Honey glazed brussel sprouts
- Ham salad
- Southern cornbread
- Crack green beans
- Corn nuggets
- 1.5 lbs asparagus trimmed (2 bunches)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 4 oz (112g) cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup (45g) parmesan cheese + ½ cup (45g) for the top
- ⅓ cup sliced almond (or breadcrumbs or Ritz crackers)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and butter a 7 x 11-inch casserole dish.
- Arrange asparagus in an even layer in the buttered casserole dish.
- Place a small saucepan over medium heat and melt butter in it.
- Add flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute. Then add in milk or heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk all of these ingredients until the sauce just starts to thicken and once it does, remove it from the heat.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and cream cheese. Stir until everything is incorporated and a sauce forms.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus and sprinkle the top with the rest of your parmesan cheese and sliced almonds.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the asparagus reaches your desired tenderness.
The scale up function does not change the gram measurements.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 7.5gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 0gProtein: 10g