If you're looking for an easy chicken dinner recipe to make, look no further than this chicken divan recipe! This casserole recipe is made entirely with pantry staples, and it's ready in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it's just absolutely delicious. It's made with hearty chicken, fresh broccoli, tons of cheesy deliciousness, a yummy creamy sauce, and a toasty breadcrumb topping.
Table of Contents
The Best Chicken Divan Recipe
This quick and easy chicken divan casserole has a little bit of everything - perfectly cooked chicken, tender broccoli, crispy bread crumbs, and of course, a creamy cheese sauce you'll want to lick off the plate. I don't know about you, but that sounds like the best kind of rich, tasty comfort food deliciousness to me!
Now, while this broccoli chicken divan casserole is absolutely delicious on its own, it's even better when paired with some tasty sides. With that said, a couple of my favorite side dishes to make with it these cheesy mashed potatoes, these crispy roasted brussel sprouts, and sweet potato cornbread.
- Broccoli- fresh broccoli florets, trimmed and cleaned. Frozen broccoli works too,
- Chicken- cooked chicken cut into cubes. Rotisserie chicken works great too.
- Cheese- shredded cheddar cheese or white cheddar cheese.
- Milk- I used whole milk. Any works great.
- Sour Cream- to add extra creaminess to the filling.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup- the main component of the filling. Condensed cream of chicken soup or even cream of broccoli soup works too.
- Garlic powder and onion powder- for a savory flavor.
- Salt- just a pinch.
- Bread crumbs and melted butter- for a deliciously crispy topping.
- Cooked rice- optional for serving.
How To Make Chicken Divan
Step 1: Prepare the Broccoli
Start by preheating the oven to 400°F (200ºC) and set a large pot of water to boil.
Next, we're going to get the ball rolling by cooking our broccoli. So, you'll want to place your broccoli into the large pot of water as soon as it comes to a boil.
Then, cook the broccoli for 2-3 minutes or just until tender and a little crisp. To finish up, drain your broccoli well and run it through cold water to stop the cooking process.
Step 2: Assemble the Casserole
Next, in a medium bowl, combine the milk, condensed soup, sour cream, and all of the seasonings with one cup of cheddar cheese. And make sure not to use up all the cheddar cheese just yet since the rest will be used for topping.
Next, add in the cubed chicken and broccoli florets and mix until everything is well combined.
Finally, transfer the rich and creamy sauce mixture to a casserole dish and sprinkle the rest of the shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Step 3: Top with Breadcrumbs and Bake
Now, grab a small bowl and mix together the melted butter and bread crumbs to make the buttery bread crumb topping. Sprinkle it all over the chicken casserole, then slide the casserole dish into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. When the bread crumbs are lightly golden brown, and the creamy sauce is hot and bubbly, it's ready.
By the way, while the chicken divan is cooking, you can prepare rice to accompany it. This is optional, but we often make a starch to go with it. The choice is totally up to you, though. Once the casserole is finished, serve it hot over the rice, and enjoy!
Make Ahead Instructions
If you want to make your casserole ahead of time, this makes a super convenient and delicious dinner! All you have to do is assemble the casserole right up to baking, and then cover the dish with a lid or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. You'll just want to wait to put the breadcrumbs on until you're ready to bake. Store it in the fridge for up to 3 days, and then bake it as directed and just add some more baking time.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
This recipe for chicken divan will make about four large servings, so it will be plenty for a family dinner. With that said, though, if you can't finish all of it, don't worry. This chicken divan recipe is absolutely delicious the days after you make it.
To store leftovers, you can keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze it in a freezer-safe airtight container or bag for up to 6 months.
To reheat your leftover chicken divan casserole, place it in the oven set to 350°F (176ºC) for 10-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. If you're starting from frozen, you'll want to thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Alternatively, you can microwave smaller servings of the casserole in 30-second increments until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Chicken Divan made of?
Chicken divan consists of chicken, broccoli, and cheese mixed in a rich and creamy sauce made from condensed cream soup, sour cream, and milk.
Why do they call it Chicken Divan?
Chicken divan is said to have gotten its name from the Divan Parisien restaurant located in the Chatham Hotel in New York City. It was created in the 20th century and was served at the restaurant as a signature meal.
What country invented Chicken Divan?
More Dinner Recipes
- Million dollar chicken casserole
- Vegetable casserole
- Philly cheesesteak casserole
- Pork chop casserole
- Outback mac and cheese
- Sweet potato cobbler
- Hash brown casserole
- Ham loaf
- 3 cups Broccoli Florets, trimmed and clean
- 3 cups cooked Chicken, cubed
- 1 ½ cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Milk
- ⅔ cup Sour Cream
- 10 ½ oz, can Mushroom Soup
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 3 tbsp. Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200º).
- Place broccoli in a large pot of boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes or just until tender crisp. Drain well and run through cold water so it stops cooking.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, milk, condensed soup, sour cream and seasonings.
- Stir in broccoli and chicken and spread into a casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned and the mixture is bubbly and hot.
- Serve it over rice.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 32g