This vegetable casserole recipe is the ultimate vegetarian comfort food! It combines tender vegetables with loads of delicious cheese to make a creamy casserole that's guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser. Plus, it's so, so easy to make!
Table of Contents
The Best Vegetable Casserole
If you love veggies or are just looking for a way to get more vegetables into your day, this veggie casserole is the best recipe you can make! I mean, it's just absolutely chock-full of delicious veggies that are coated in a rich, creamy sauce and a combination of melty mozzarella and cheddar cheese. How tasty does that sound?
Seriously, it's so good that when I serve this at family get-togethers - or on meatless Mondays - even the kids go in for seconds!
Since this delicious veggies casserole recipe is so easy to make, you'll have plenty of time to whip up a side dish to go with it. My favorite things to pair with it are this garlic bread and this Italian cheese bread.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's really easy. Make the creamy filling, combine it with the veggies, add all that deliciousness to a casserole dish, top everything with some cheese, and bake it in the oven!
Family favorite. Vegetables usually aren't everyone's favorite thing for dinner, but this casserole changes that! Kids and adults both love this vegetable dinner recipe, and even the picky eaters will be getting seconds.
It's so healthy. Since this entire casserole is all vegetables, this is a super healthy dinner recipe you can feel good about feeding to your family!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Frozen cauliflower- thawed.
- Frozen broccoli- thawed.
- Bean sprouts- drained.
- Cream of mushroom soup- for the base of the broth. You can also use cream of celery soup or cream of chicken soup.
- Mayonnaise- for some extra creaminess.
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese- for the delicious cheesy topping.
If you have any leftover broccoli after making this recipe, you can use it to make this easy broccoli rice casserole recipe next! Or, if you're looking for something a little different, check out this artichoke casserole. They're two of my favorite vegetable casserole recipes that everyone always loves.
For something a little different, you can use a lot of the ingredients to make this vegetable lasagna with white sauce.
How To Make Vegetable Casserole
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch baking dish with some cooking spray.
2. Make the filling: Take out a large mixing bowl and add the mayonnaise, egg, and cream of mushroom soup to it. Whisk or beat these ingredients together until they combine.
3. Assemble the casserole: Place half the thawed broccoli, cauliflower, and bean sprouts into the prepared baking dish. Pour half the egg mixture on top and add half the mozzarella and half the cheddar cheese on top of that. Repeat the layers again until you use all of the ingredients.
4. Bake and serve: Put the casserole with veggies in the oven and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool the casserole briefly before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Add other vegetables, like green beans, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, water chestnuts, thawed frozen corn, butternut squash, fresh mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach. You can even use a bag of thawed mixed frozen veggies.
- Use different cheese, like colby jack, swiss, taco cheese, or pepper jack cheese.
- Serve the casserole with sour cream and parmesan cheese on top for more flavor.
- You'll know the casserole is baked when the filling is set and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
How To Store and Reheat This Veggie Casserole
In the fridge: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days.
In the freezer: Transfer the leftovers to a freezer-safe airtight container and freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: I like to put the leftovers in a casserole dish and bake it in the oven at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts and the filling is warmed. Add more reheating time for the frozen casserole or let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I serve with this casserole?
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes! Just assemble the casserole before putting the cheese on, and cover the casserole dish with a lid or plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, then when you're ready to serve, top it with cheese and bake.
Can I add a topping to this vegetable casserole?
Yes, you can make a crumbly topping and combine crushed Ritz cracker crumbs with some melted butter. Add it right before baking the casserole. You can also add some crispy fried onions or breadcrumbs to the top of the casserole before baking.
Can I use different fresh vegetables?
Absolutely! Any of your favorite vegetables will work great, depending on what type of casserole you want to make. This recipe makes a cauliflower broccoli casserole, but you can make a green bean casserole, zucchini casserole, or squash casserole by using those vegetables.
More Casserole Recipes
- Pork chop casserole
- Cheesy potato casserole
- John Wayne Casserole
- Sloppy joe casserole
- Zucchini tomato casserole
- Ham and potato casserole
- Brenda Gantt cabbage casserole
- Sausage green bean potato casserole
- 10 oz. frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 10 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed
- 8 oz. can bean sprouts, drained
- 5 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish with some cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat mayonnaise, egg, and cream of mushroom soup.
- Place half the thawed broccoli, cauliflower, and bean sprouts into a baking dish.
- Pour half the egg mixture on top and add half the mozzarella and half the cheddar cheese on top of that.
- Repeat the layers again and bake the casserole for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool casserole briefly before serving.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 11g