This keto lasagna is the most indulgent and delicious keto pasta dish you can make. Made with layers of a savory meat sauce, rich ricotta filling, and deeply cheesy keto lasagna noodles, you'd never guess that each serving of this low carb lasagna has just 3.5 NET CARBS!
Table of Contents
THE BEST KETO LASAGNA
This keto lasagna recipe takes a classic layered pasta dish and turns it into a low carb thing of beauty! And I may be biased, but I honestly think this keto friendly lasagna blows the "regular" kind out of the water. At least, I feel way better eating this than the "regular" stuff.
It has layers of flavorful, meaty tomato sauce, creamy ricotta filling, and cheesy keto lasagna "noodles." And then it's baked to complete perfection – with no heavy carbs getting in the way!
Plus, the cheesy noodles make this low carb lasagna gluten free too. So not only is it perfect for the keto diet, but it's ideal if you're following a gluten free diet as well.
And the best part about this low carb lasagna might be that it only takes about an hour to make 10 servings of it. Not to mention it requires no fancy, hard-to-find ingredients. Typically, homemade lasagna can take several hours to make, so the time it takes for this recipe is pretty great, if I do say so myself.
Oh, and the next time you're craving something ultra cheesy like this lasagna but don't have as much time, check out my keto mozzarella sticks recipe! It's another one of my keto recipes that is sure to curb your cheesy cravings in no time.
INGREDIENTS FOR KETO LASAGNA
Here's what you'll need for this keto lasagna "pasta":
- Cream cheese- softened to room temperature.
- Parmesan cheese- freshly grated for the best flavor.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese- for that classic cheesiness.
- Garlic powder and onion powder- for a savory flavor.
And for the meat and tomato sauce:
- Olive oil
- Ground beef- I used an 85/15 lean/fat split.
- Red bell pepper- minced for texture and flavor.
- Garlic cloves- minced for more savoriness.
- Tomato passata- my secret ingredient.
- Italian seasoning- for more flavor.
- Salt and pepper
And for the creamy ricotta filling:
- Ricotta- for a classic filling.
- Parmesan cheese- because more cheese is always better.
- Nutmeg- just a pinch for an underrated flavor addition.
- Heavy cream- for extra creaminess.
And to top it all off:
- Shredded mozzarella
- Parmesan cheese
Tomato Sauce Notes
Ok, so the first thing you may be wondering is - are tomatoes keto friendly? The answer is yes, as long as they are eaten in small quantities and as long as what you are using does not have a ton of added sugars in it and is low carb.
Now, the second thing you may be wondering is what the heck is tomato passata. Well, it is an uncooked tomato puree that has been strained from the seeds and skins. For this reason, tomato passata is often labeled as strained tomatoes.
I used Bionaturae Strained Tomatoes to make this low carb marinara - it has no sugars added to it and only 2 NET CARBS per serving. You can use any brand that you want - just make sure that there are no added sugars and it is low carb.
HOW TO MAKE KETO LASAGNA
As I've previously mentioned, this gluten free keto lasagna recipe should take about an hour to make 10 servings.
That said, only 40 minutes of that will be the actual prep time - which I think is pretty darn impressive when it comes to making lasagna - and then the other 20 minutes is just baking time.
Anyway, once you dig into this incredibly decadent cheesy low carb dinner, you'll find that the time it takes to make it is well worth it.
STEP 1: MAKING THE PASTA SHEET
First, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Then, prepare a large baking tray by lining it with parchment paper. For this recipe, I used a 13x18 pan and made a 8x16 rectangle, the edges will be a bit thinner, so it’s better to make it a little bigger. However, the edges of the lasagna will come out a little thinner, so you may want to make yours a bit bigger.
Anyway, stary by mixing your cream cheese and eggs in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Next, add the grated parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder into the bowl. Mix everything together, and then add in the mozzarella, stirring with a spoon until all the ingredients are combined. Spread the mixture in a nice even layer on your prepared baking tray, then bake for 20-25 minutes. Once that's done, you can set it aside to cool.
STEP 2: COOKING THE FILLINGS
You can get started on the marinara and ricotta filling as the pasta sheets bake.
For the tomato meat sauce, first, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and sauté for 5-8 minutes. Stir the ground beef to make sure that it is cooking on all sides.
Next, add the bell pepper, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and your desired amount of ground black pepper and salt. Cook everything together for about 5 more minutes. Then, add the tomato passata and cook for about 10 minutes to get the sauce nice and thick.
Once the sauce has finished cooking, you can make the ricotta filling. Just add the ricotta, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and heavy cream to a small bowl. Mix everything until well combined and your filling is ready.
STEP 3: ASSEMBLING AND BAKING THE LASAGNA
Start by cutting the cooled keto pasta sheet into three equal pieces. In a 9x13 inch baking tray, pour in an even layer of the meat sauce. Next, place the first pasta sheet on top of the sauce, and then evenly spread some of the ricotta filling on top of that. You will repeat this sequence - pasta sheet, sauce, ricotta filling- for the next two layers.
Then top it off with more mozzarella and parmesan cheese for an oh-so cheesy lasagna. Lastly, bake it in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes. You will know it is done when the top is nicely browned and the cheese is bubbling. Then, you can cut this low carb keto lasagna into 10 equal slices, or however you want!
How To Store Leftovers
Now, something I really love about this low carb keto lasagna is that it actually tastes even better the next day. So, in this case, leftovers are a good thing!
You can keep the keto lasagna in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or if your dish you baked it in has a lid, you can just cover it and put it in the fridge.
And this lasagna also keeps pretty well in the freezer. Just store it in an airtight container, and it will last for up to 3 months.
How To Reheat Leftovers
To reheat your lasagna, put it in an oven-safe dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Then bake in the oven at 325°F (160°C) for about 15-30 minutes or until it is warm.
The amount of time it takes will depend on how much lasagna you're reheating.
Other Keto Recipes To Try Next
If you enjoyed this low carb lasagna recipe, you might wanna try these keto recipes out too:
- Keto Chicken Stir Fry
- Keto Fried Chicken
- Keto Sausage Balls
- Keto Chicken Nuggets
- Keto Cupcakes
- Keto Pound Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (120g) cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (30g) grated parmesan
- 1 cup + ½ cup (180g) grated mozzarella
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- About 1.5 lbs (750g) ground beef
- ½ red bell pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A little over 2 cups (500g) Tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250g) Ricotta
- ⅓ cup grated (30g) parmesan
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup (113g) grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup (20g) grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) Line a baking tray with parchment paper. (I used 13X18 pan and made a 8x16 rectangle, the edges will be a bit thinner, so it’s better to make it a little bigger)
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese and eggs, using a hand mixer.
- Add parmesan and spices and mix. Then add mozzarella and stir with a spoon to combine.
- Spread mixture on a baking tray in an even layer. Bake for 20-25 min. Let it cool completely.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook ground beef for 5-8 min, stirring frequently.
- Add bell pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook for 5 more min.
- Add tomatoes and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 10 min.
- Next, add all of the ricotta filling ingredients into a small bowl and mix until well combined.
- Then cut cooled pasta into 3 equal pieces for assembling the lasagna.
- To assemble, first pour an even layer of meat sauce in a 9x13 inch baking tray. Next, place the first pasta sheet on top of the sauce, and then evenly spread some ricotta filling on top of that.
- Repeat this sequence - pasta sheet, sauce, ricotta filling- for the next two layers.
- Top it off with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese and bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 20 minutes, or until the top has browned and cheese is bubbling.
- Slice your lasagna and enjoy!
The scale up function does not change the gram measurements.
Serving Size:1 Serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 5.1gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 0gProtein: 40g