This French toast without milk is a delicious classic breakfast recipe. It's made with thick, fluffy bread slices with a brown sugar cinnamon flavor that's just to die for. This might be the most delicious French toast recipe ever!
Table of Contents
The Best French Toast Without Milk
French toast is my wife's favorite thing to have for breakfast. When I want to treat her to a weekend breakfast that's restaurant-worthy, I always make this French toast without milk.
It takes a classic French toast recipe, making it even better with a few secret ingredients. The result is a thick and fluffy French toast that has a slightly crisp crust and the most delicious flavor from the sweet batter.
It's so good that you could eat it alone, but of course, it tastes even better with some butter and maple syrup.
Oh, and it's so easy that you could even make this cheesy breakfast potato casserole to serve with French toast.
Why This Recipe Works
Easy French toast recipe: All you do to make this French toast without milk is mix the egg mixture, dip the bread slices, and cook them. It's effortless!
Fool-proof: Even if you've never made a French toast recipe before, this will turn out perfect every single time.
Crowd favorite: I mentioned this is my wife's favorite breakfast recipe, and everyone else who tried it loves it too. So you're guaranteed to have a winner at the breakfast table!
This French toast without milk is made with simple ingredients. I even bet you have everything you need to make it already!
Here's what you need to make French toast without milk:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fresh raspberries to serve with
- Maple syrup
How To Make French Toast
1. Make the egg mixture: Whisk the eggs, water, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large shallow bowl until the ingredients fully combine.
2. Coat the bread: Dip the bread in the egg batter one slice at a time and immediately cook that slice.
3. Cook the French toast: Melt butter in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Cook each battered bread slice for 2-3 minutes per side until crisp and golden brown.
4. Serve: As soon as you cook all of the slices, serve the French toast warm with fresh raspberries and maple syrup on top. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Make dairy-free French toast by using vegan butter instead of regular butter.
- Use stale bread to absorb the egg mixture better for the best texture.
- Don't oversoak the bread. Just dip it and cover it on both sides.
- Grease the pan with butter between cooking each slice.
- Serve the French toast with powdered sugar on top for a sweeter flavor.
- Double the recipe. This is the perfect French toast for two, so if you want to serve it to a crowd, double or triple the recipe.
How To Store Leftover French Toast
In the fridge: To store the leftover French toast slices, wrap them in plastic wrap, put them in a Ziploc bag, and refrigerate for about 4-5 days.
In the freezer: This homemade French toast can also be frozen. Wrap the leftover French toast in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag for 1-2 months.
Reheating: Reheat the French toast in the toaster oven for 5 minutes or in the oven at 350°F for 5-8 minutes until heated through. Add more reheating time for the frozen French toast.
FAQs About This French Toast Without Milk Recipe
What can I use instead of milk in French toast?
The best substitute for milk in French toast is water. You can also use dairy free milk such as almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or any other plant-based milk.
Which type of bread is best for French toast?
Any thick bread works well, but sourdough bread, challah bread, Fench bread, plain white bread, or wheat bread also works great.
Why add milk to eggs for French toast?
Milk will thicken up the egg batter for a richer French toast.
More Breakfast Recipes
- French toast for one
- Waffle recipe no milk
- Pancakes without milk
- French toast casserole
- Sourdough French toast
- 2 banana bread recipe
- Whisk eggs, water, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Coat the bread slices with the egg mixture.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the French toast for 2-3 minutes per side until golden.
- Serve the French toast warm with fresh raspberries and maple syrup.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g