These fried tomatoes are a delicious appetizer or side everyone will love. The red tomatoes are coated in a flavorful breading that is crispy, crunchy, and just addictive. They're so good, and the best part is the entire recipe comes together in under 20 minutes!
Table of Contents
The Best Fried Tomatoes
Everyone's heard of fried green tomatoes, but I think these fried red tomatoes are so much better.
The red tomatoes are already delicious on their own, so when you bread and fry them until golden perfection, they turn into something amazing.
The tomato slices are coated in a flavorful blend of breading and seasonings, then lightly fried until super crispy yet still tender and juicy. Finish them off with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and you've got a delicious dish that everyone's sure to love!
The fried red tomatoes are honestly so good alone, but they're even better dipped in this Texas Roadhouse ranch.
Why This Recipe Works
Winning combination. The balance of flavors and textures of these crispy fried tomatoes is seriously out of this world.
Easy to make. Mix the ingredients, bread the tomatoes, and fry. It's effortless!
The ingredient list for these crispy fried red tomatoes is super simple. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you have most of the ingredients you'll need to make them at home already!
Anyway, here's what you'll need to make the recipe:
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- Freshly grated parmesan to serve with
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Oh, and if you see green tomatoes, grab a few so you can try these fried green tomatoes next and see which ones you like better!
How To Make Fried Tomatoes
1. Prep the tomatoes: Wash the tomatoes if needed and completely dry them. Slice the tomatoes into ½-inch thick slices and pick out the seeds.
2. Prep the breading: Combine the cornmeal, flour, breadcrumbs, Italian herbs, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix. Whisk the egg in a separate mixing bowl.
2. Bread the tomatoes: Heat 1 inch of oil in a deep large skillet or saucepot. While the oil is heating, coat the tomatoes one by one in the egg and then dredge them through the breadcrumbs mixture.
3. Fry the tomatoes: Immediately put the breaded tomato slices in the hot oil and fry the tomatoes until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Transfer the tomatoes with a slotted spatula to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Repeat the frying process with the rest of the tomato slices.
4. Serve: Put the fried tomatoes on a plate and serve warm, sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Fully coat the tomato slices on both sides and press them into the breadcrumb mix to make sure it sticks.
- Heat the oil to about 350°F before frying.
- Fry the tomatoes in batches so the oil stays nice and hot.
- Add a little garlic powder to the seasoning blend, or top the tomato slices with fresh basil for more flavor.
- Try using green tomatoes to make a fried green tomato recipe instead.
- Double the recipe. Everyone won't be able to stop eating these fried tomatoes!
How To Store Fried Tomatoes
In the fridge: Store the leftover fried tomatoes in an airtight container for about 3-5 days.
In the freezer: Transfer the tomatoes to a freezer-safe bag or container and freezer for about 10 months.
Reheating: Put the fried tomatoes on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Warm in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until they reach your desired temperature. Add more reheating time for the frozen tomatoes.
FAQS About This Fried Tomatoes Recipe
Are fried tomatoes good for you?
Red tomatoes have a variety of health benefits, but since they're fried, they're not technically good for you. You can put the battered tomatoes in the air fryer for a healthier version.
What's the best way to fry tomatoes?
The best way to fry tomatoes is in hot oil. The frying oil should be at a temperature of around 350°F. Fry the tomatoes in a few batches for a couple of minutes until a golden crust forms.
How do you cut tomatoes for frying?
The tomatoes should be cut into around half inch circles. You'll want to make sure that they are all the same thickness, that way, the tomatoes will cook the same when fried.
What do fried tomatoes taste like?
Fried red tomatoes and fried green tomatoes taste really different. Typically, fried green tomatoes taste tangy and slightly sour, whereas red tomatoes taste a little sweeter. Either way, the balance between the tomatoes and crispy coating makes for a delicious dish!
- Slice the tomatoes into ½-inch thick slices. Pick out the seeds.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, breadcrumbs, and Italian herbs in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a skillet or saucepot.
- Coat the tomatoes with eggs and then dredge them through the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Fry the tomatoes in heated oil until a golden crust is formed on both sides.
- Transfer the tomatoes with a slotted spatula to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat the process until all the battered tomatoes are fried.
- Serve tomatoes warm, sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g