This crack slaw is quite literally addictive. It's packed with ground beef and crisp veggies with a slightly spicy and savory sauce with a ton of flavor. Once you get a taste of this crack slaw, you won't be able to stop eating it!
Table of Contents
The Best Crack Slaw
There's nothing wrong with a regular coleslaw mix, but it just doesn't compare to this crack slaw. I know the name is a little odd, but since it's so darn good, I guess it makes sense.
This addictive recipe combines coleslaw mix and ground beef and has a soy sauce blend that is downright delicious. Top it off with green onions and sesame seeds, and you've got the perfect side dish for summer cookouts!
Fresh, vibrant, low carb, healthy, and delicious, there's just so much to love about this recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
A winning combination. This crack slaw is the perfect blend of ingredients. With bold flavors like soy sauce and spicy sriracha and notes of fresh ginger and savory garlic, this crack slaw recipe takes your traditional coleslaw to another level.
Crowd-favorite. This is always a hit at get-togethers and will instantly upgrade any summer cookout.
It goes with everything. This crack slaw is a no-brainer side dish because it goes with practically any meal. Serve it with these shrimp burgers, beef back ribs in the oven, ranch potatoes, you name it!
Low carb. This recipe is a great low carb high protein dish, so it's perfect for the keto diet.
This crack slaw recipe is made with fresh, flavorful ingredients. There are quite a few, but they're all common household items, so you might not even have to run to the grocery store.
Here's what you need to make this crack slaw recipe:
- ½lb. ground beef
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. Sriracha sauce
- 4 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp. sesame seeds
You can use many of these ingredients to make this ground beef and cabbage, so you'll want to give that a shot next!
How To Make Crack Slaw
1. Cook the garlic and onions: Put a large wok or large skillet on the stovetop over medium heat and add the olive oil to it. Add the chopped onion to the hot oil and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and minced fresh ginger and cook for about one minute, stirring the entire time.
2. Cook the ground beef: Add the ground beef to the cooked veggies in the wok. Cook the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon until its browned on all sides.
3. Add the veggies: Add the coleslaw mix along with the carrots to the ground beef. Cook the coleslaw with the ground beef until the shredded cabbage is wilted and the carrots are softened.
4. Add the sauce: Mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha in a bowl. Pour the sauce into the wok and give everything a good stir to coat all of the ingredients in the sauce.
5. Serve: Transfer the crack slaw to a large serving dish or dishes and garnish with chopped green onions, more sriracha, and sesame seeds.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Use different ground meat. Ground chicken, ground pork, and ground turkey are great substitutions for ground beef in this low carb crack slaw recipe.
- Substitute the coleslaw mix for freshly shredded green cabbage and red cabbage or a broccoli slaw mix.
- Add veggies like cauliflower rice or shredded broccoli to make it even healthier.
- Serve the slaw with a fried egg on top. It's like an egg roll in a bowl!
How To Store Crack Slaw
In the Fridge: This crack slaw is best stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
In the freezer: You can also freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 month. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before eating again.
FAQs About This Crack Slaw Recipe
What is crack slaw?
It is a coleslaw mix with ground beef and a soy sauce mixture as a sauce.
What can I use instead of soy sauce?
If you don't want to use soy sauce, you can swap it with coconut aminos, tamari sauce, or even Worcestershire sauce.
How many carbs are in low carb crack slaw?
There are just over 4 total carbs in this low carb crack slaw recipe.
- Place a large wok or skillet on the stove over medium heat and add oil.
- Add onions to hot oil and saute for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and minced fresh ginger and cook for about one minute, stirring the whole time.
- Add the ground beef to the onions, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook the ground beef, breaking it apart until browned on all sides.
- Add the coleslaw mix carrots to the ground beef.
- Cook the coleslaw with the ground beef until the cabbage is wilted and the carrots are softened.
- Mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sriracha in a bowl. Pour in the sauce into the wok and stir.
- Garnish the dish with chopped green onions, more sriracha, and sesame seeds.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 8g