These chicken empanadas have a crispy and flaky outer crust with a savory chicken filling. And the best part is it only takes about 45 minutes to make these flavorful homemade empanadas! Plus, you can make them in the air fryer, oven, or stovetop!
Table of Contents
THE BEST CHICKEN EMPANADAS
Empanadas have got to be one of my favorite savory appetizers. I mean, this rich and flaky-filled pastry is just so hard to resist!
And I think most people would agree with that sentiment - because whenever I make these chicken empanadas for a dinner or party, they're gone before I get a second serving.
This homemade chicken empanada recipe takes less than an hour to make and yields the most delicious results. The empanada dough is crispy yet tender, and the inside is filled with savory chicken goodness in each bite.
And I know I'm a little biased, but I think these chicken empanadas are better than anything you can get at a restaurant or the grocery store.
Why This Recipe Works
3 ways to cook. You can bake these empanadas in the oven, fry them on the stovetop, or make them in the air fryer!
Crowd favorite. Everyone always loves these juicy shredded chicken empanadas, and they'll be the talk of the night whenever you make them.
The empanada dough. This recipe uses homemade empanada dough that is so much better than anything you'd get from the grocery store. And making your own empanada dough is actually really easy with my recipe.
Regarding ingredients, this empanada recipe is made with common ingredients that you can find anywhere.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you already have almost everything you need in your kitchen!
Here's what you'll need to make them:
- 24 Empanada Discs
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- ½ Red Pepper, chopped
- ½ Yellow Pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp. Ginger Powder
- ¼ cup Tomato Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Egg, for the egg wash
- Sweet and Sour Sauce for dipping
The only thing you might not already have are the empanada discs. For that, you can make my quick and easy empanada dough ecipe. The homemade empanada dough only takes 5 basic ingredients to make, and the process is beyond easy!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN EMPANADAS
1. Cook the chicken: Fill out a pot with water and a dash of salt. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed chicken breasts and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board, let it cool, and shred it with two forks.
2. Cook the veggies: Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat and saute the onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, and spices in olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies soften.
3. Combine: Add the shredded chicken and tomato sauce to the skillet and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring to ensure everything combines well.
4. Fill the empanadas: Put your empanada disks on a tray lined with parchment paper. Fill each empanada disc by adding a tablespoon of the chicken filling to the center and folding the empanada in half.
5. Seal the empanadas: Press the edges together with a fork to seal in the chicken filling for the empanadas. Arrange your filled empanadas on the tray and brush them with the egg wash - it'll give your final empanadas a crisp golden outer crust.
HOW TO BAKE CHICKEN EMPANADAS IN THE OVEN
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. After you give the empanadas the egg wash, arrange them on the prepared baking sheet and make sure they don't touch.
2. Bake the empanadas: Bake the empanadas for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Serve the baked empanadas: Let them cool, then enjoy the baked empanadas with a side of sweet and sour sauce.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN EMPANADAS IN AIR FRYER
1. Prep: Spray the air fryer basket with oil and preheat the air fryer to 350°F (180ºC).
2. Air fry empanadas: Lay the empanadas flat in the air fryer basket. Cook them in batches for about 10 minutes each. And don't forget to flip your empanadas halfway through the cooking time!
3. Serve: Transfer the air fryer chicken empanadas to a plate and cover to keep them warm while the others cook. Serve with a side of sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy!
HOW TO FRY CHICKEN EMPANADAS ON THE STOVETOP
1. Heat the oil: Add enough oil to cover the empanadas to a deep pot or frying pan and bring it to 365°F. If you don't have a deep-frying thermometer, you can also test the oil by sticking a wooden chopstick or the end of a wooden spoon into the oil. If bubbles form around the wood, your oil is ready. Just make sure it isn't bubbling too much since that would mean your oil is too hot.
2. Fry the empanadas: Add a few at a time to the hot oil and fry them for about 5 minutes or until golden brown, ensuring both sides are cooked evenly. Transfer them to a wire rack or a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil and cool.
3. Serve: Serve with the sweet & sour sauce and dig in!
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN EMPANADAS
In the fridge: Store the cooked empanadas in an airtight container, and you can keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
In the freezer: Individually wrap each chicken empanada in plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container where they'll last for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Put the leftover empanadas in the air fryer or the oven at about 300°F (150°C) for a few minutes until they reach your desired temperature.
FAQS About This Chicken Empananda
Can I store uncooked empanadas in the fridge?
Yes. You can keep the uncooked empanadas in the fridge for up to 2 days. Put squares of parchment paper between each empanada to prevent them from sticking together in the container.
Can I freeze uncooked empanadas?
Absolutely! Put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until they're completely frozen. Then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Just add a little more cooking time to your desired method.
Are empanadas fried or baked?
Traditionally, empanadas are fried. But can make fried empanadas or baked empanadas with this homemade recipe!
What are empanadas traditionally served with?
Empanadas are usually served with dipping sauce like sour cream, guacamole, and sweet and sour sauce. If you're looking for what to serve with chicken empanadas, they're terrific with this Moes queso or Taco Bell nacho cheese and a side of Mexican street corn casserole.
These chicken empanadas are such a tasty savory recipe, and if you like savory recipes, we have a ton on the blog I think you'll enjoy!
Give one of these a try next:
- Fried Spaghetti
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Japanese Curry
- Instant Pot Clam Chowder
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Crunchwraps
Chicken Empanadas Recipe With Three Cooking Methods
These chicken empanadas have a crispy and flaky outer crust with a savory chicken filling. It only takes about 45 minutes to make these flavorful empanadas for the whole family! And you can make them in the air fryer, oven, or stovetop!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 24 empanadas
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop/Oven/Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Spanish
2 Chicken Breasts, cubed
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 cup Onion, chopped
½ Red Pepper, chopped
½ Yellow Pepper, chopped
1 tsp. Cumin Powder
1 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
1 tsp. Ginger Powder
¼ cup Tomato Sauce
Salt and Pepper
1 Egg, for the egg wash
Sweet and Sour Sauce for dipping
- Make this empanada dough recipe for the empanada discs.
- Bring a pot filled with water to a boil over medium-high heat and add salt. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 20 minutes, or until fully cooked. Once done, remove from the water, let them cool, and shred with two forks.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium-high, add the olive oil, onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, and spices. Cook for 10 minutes, or until all veggies are soft.
- Add the shredded chicken and tomato sauce and cook for 5 more minutes, and stir to combine.
- Fill the empanada disks with 1 tbsp. of chicken filing and close them using a fork. Brush each one with the egg wash.
- Air Fryer Method: Remove the grid from the air fryer and spray some oil. Cook in batches of 4 (or more depending on your air fryer, they shouldn't touch each other) at 350°F (180ºC) for 10 minutes.
- Oven Method: Preheat to 375°F (190ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange empanadas on the sheet and make sure they don't touch. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stovetop Method: Heat some oil in a deep pan (enough to cover the empanadas) and bring it to 365°F (180ºC). Add 2-5 empanadas to the pan and fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
- Serve the empanadas with sweet and sour sauce on the side. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 empanada
- Calories: 143
- Fat: .2
- Carbohydrates: 15.6
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5
Keywords: chicken empanadas, chicken empanada, chicken empanadas recipe, chicken empanada recipe, chicken filling for empanadas, how to make chicken empanadas in air fryer, how to make chicken empanadas in the oven, how to make chicken empanadas on the stovetop, chicken empanadas air fryer, chicken empanadas recipe baked, empanadas recipe chicken, empanadas recipe easy, empanadas recipe with chicken, how to make empanadas