This chicken mushroom casserole combines savory chicken breasts with the perfect balance of spices, mozzarella cheese, al dente pasta, and a rich, creamy mushroom soup. It makes a decadent meal that's guaranteed to be a family favorite!
Table of Contents
My Take On a Chicken Mushroom Casserole
If you love the combination of savory chicken and caramelized mushrooms, and if you can't get enough of my casserole recipes, then this dish is perfect for you.
It's, without a doubt, one of those recipes that you'll keep coming back to week after week. I mean, what's better than chicken, mushrooms, and pasta in a rich, creamy sauce?
On top of being delicious, you can count on this recipe being one that's always simple to make. Talk about everything we all need on a busy weeknight!
- Cream of mushroom soup- for the base of the sauce, adding a delicious mushroom flavor.
- Chicken broth- to blend with the soup.
- Sliced mushrooms- because what's a mushroom casserole without extra mushrooms? I like to use white button mushrooms, but anything works!
- Short pasta- I like to use spiral noodles.
- Chicken breast- I'll try to use an extra large chicken breast. You'll want to dice the chicken into cubes before starting the recipe.
- Garlic powder- for an added savory flavor.
- Dried thyme- for a slight herb flavor.
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream- to give the sauce some more creaminess and richness.
- Mozzarella cheese- for an ooey gooey topping.
- Fresh parsley- for serving.
By the way, if you have some leftover chicken, you can use it to make some of my chicken casserole recipes - like this chicken and stuffing casserole, chicken taco casserole, this French onion chicken casserole, or this chicken cordon bleu casserole.
How To Make Chicken Mushroom Casserole
Step 1: Prepare the filling. First things first, you'll want to preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with a little butter or olive oil. Then, in a big bowl, you'll want to add the cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, sliced mushrooms, pasta, chicken breast, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Give everything a good mix until they fully combine.
Step 2: Bake the casserole. Once your creamy chicken mixture is fully combined, you'll want to transfer the mix to your prepared baking dish and cover it with tin foil. Put the casserole in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes. Remove the tin foil, and bake it for another 15 minutes or until the chicken and pasta are fully cooked.
Step 3: Finish it off. Once the pasta and chicken are both fully cooked, you can remove the casserole dish from the oven and add/mix the sour cream into it. By the way, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you'll definitely want to make sure the sour cream is evenly spread throughout the casserole. Anyway, top your casserole with the shredded cheese and broil it for about 3 minutes just until the cheese melts and it’s nice and bubbly. Serve warm with some parsley on top, and enjoy!
How I Recommend Storing and Reheating This Casserole
I'll just cover the casserole dish with a lid and store it in the fridge for about 4 days. You can also put some of the leftovers in an airtight container to store. To keep it for longer, store it in a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze for about 6 months.
To reheat. I've found the best results are to put the casserole back in a baking dish and warm it in the oven at 350°F for around 15 minutes. You can microwave individual portions in 30-second increments for a quicker method, but I don't love the texture it gives the chicken.
My Final Thoughts
Out of every chicken casserole recipe I've come up with, I honestly think this might be one of the best ones yet. It's so rich and decadent, yet it couldn't be more quick and simple to make.
Honestly, it's the ideal casserole to whip on a busy weeknight for a family dinner. Everyone is sure to love it, even if they aren't a big fan of mushrooms.
Anyway, I hope you like this recipe as much as I/we do. If you make it, leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts!
More Casserole Recipes To Try Next
- Rotisserie chicken casserole
- Chicken and dumpling casserole
- John Wayne casserole
- Tuna noodle casserole
- Pork chop casserole
- Sausage casserole
- Artichoke casserole
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup short pasta
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into cubes
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- fresh parsley to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180ºC).
- In a big bowl, mix soup, chicken broth, mushrooms, pasta, chicken breast, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake for 30 minutes covered with tin foil, then for 15 minutes uncovered or until chicken and pasta are cooked.
- Remove from the oven, add the sour cream, and mix to combine everything. Top with the cheese and bake for 10-20 more minutes or until the cheese melts and it’s bubbly.
- Serve with parsley on top if desired.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days or freezer for 6 months. To reheat, I like to put the leftovers in a casserole dish and warm in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 474mgCarbohydrates: 59.6gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 3.7gProtein: 36.6g