This tater tot breakfast casserole is about to become your new favorite breakfast recipe. It combines fluffy eggs with savory pork sausage, crispy tater tots, and a decadent cheesy filling to make an addictive breakfast casserole everyone is guaranteed to love.
Table of Contents
The Best Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots
If you've been following the blog for a while, you know I've developed a passion for creating casserole recipes. I'll be honest when it comes to casseroles, it doesn't get much better than this breakfast tater tot casserole.
I mean, this casserole has everything you'd want in a hearty breakfast. It takes four of everyone's favorite breakfast foods and transforms them into a savory and cheesy casserole loaded with juicy sausage, fluffy and cheesy eggs, and crispy golden brown tater tots. After just one bite, you and your family won't ever want to have anything else for breakfast!
By the way, while the casserole is in the oven, you'll have plenty of time to whip up some tasty sides to serve with your casserole, like these fluffy pancakes, million dollar bacon, or this McDonalds breakfast sauce to put on top.
- Eggs- six large ones.
- Pork sausage- breakfast sausage, turkey sausage, and even Italian sausage works too.
- Heavy cream- makes for the best rich and fluffy texture.
- Tater tots- frozen tater tots.
- Cheddar cheese- I use shard cheddar cheese for a bold flavor.
- Garlic powder- for a touch of savory flavor.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
Oh, and you can use just about all of these ingredients to make this overnight egg casserole and Bisquick breakfast casserole as well. So if you're craving another easy sausage breakfast casserole, definitely give one of those a try next! And if you have extra tater tots, you can use them to make this green bean tater tot casserole.
How To Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Step 1: Prepare The Casserole Filling
First, preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a 9-inch casserole dish with some butter, oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
Then you can remove the sausage from its casing and cook the meat in a large skillet until it's browned on all sides, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove the skillet from the heat and drain the excess grease from the meat.
Up next, grab a large bowl and beat the eggs with heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until everything fully combines.
Step 2: Assemble The Casserole
Now that the filling is good to go, you'll want to arrange the tater tots in your prepared baking dish in a single layer. Then you can add the cooked sausage mixture on top, followed by the shredded cheddar cheese, and finally, pour the beaten egg mixture on top of everything.
Step 3: Bake The Casserole
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake the casserole for about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake the casserole for another 15 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked. Allow the casserole to cool briefly before slicing it and serving it with anything you want. Enjoy!
Storing and Reheating
If you happen to end up with leftovers, you can store them by wrapping the casserole dish in foil, putting the lid on it, or transferring the leftover casserole to an airtight container. Stored this way, the casserole will last for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Alternatively, if you want your leftovers to last even longer to have a quick breakfast on hand, you can store the casserole in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze the breakfast casserole for up to 2 months. Baking the casserole and then freezing it is the best method if you want a make ahead breakfast casserole.
To reheat your casserole, I suggest transferring it back to the casserole dish and heating it in the oven at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes or until it reaches your desired temperature. However, if you're just trying to reheat a single serving, you can pop it in the microwave and heat it in 30-second intervals until it's fully reheated.
More Casserole Recipes
- Cinnamon roll casserole
- French toast casserole
- Breakfast casserole with bacon
- Cheesy ham and potato casserole
- Overnight breakfast casserole with bread
- Crescent roll breakfast casserole
- Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole
- 6 large eggs
- 1lb. pork sausage
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 20oz. tater tots
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch baking dish with some cooking oil.
- Remove the sausage from the casing. Cook the meat in a large skillet until browned. Drain the excess grease from the meat.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with heavy cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the tater tots in a baking dish in a single layer. Add sausage on top, followed by cheese, and finally, pour over the egg mixture on top.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake the casserole for another 15 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked.
- Cool the casserole before slicing and serving.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 15g