This pierogi casserole is full of flavor. It combines cheddar cheese pierogis with savory onions, salty prosciutto, and rich alfredo sauce, all covered in a layer of melty cheddar cheese. Not only is it delicious, though, but it's really easy to make!
Table of Contents
The Best Pierogi Casserole
If you love everything pierogies have to offer and the simplicity of casserole recipes, you're going to fall in love with this pierogi casserole recipe.
It takes frozen pierogies and combines them with a few simple ingredients to make a casserole that's to die for. Seriously, every bite is just chock-full of rich, creamy, cheesy deliciousness.
Once you get a taste of it, you'll want to make it every week! At least, that's been the case in our house lately.
Why This Recipe Works
Easy to make. All of the components for this casserole cook in just one pan, and then everything's transferred to a casserole dish and baked in the oven. It's effortless to make!
Crowd-pleaser. This hearty casserole is a comfort food meal that everyone always loves, so it'll be a hit at your next dinner party or weeknight dinner with your family.
Simple ingreidents. You only need 6 ingredients to make this casserole, and they're all really basic. You might even have a few at home already!
As I just mentioned, you only need a handful of ingredients from your local grocery store to make this pierogi casserole, and those ingredients are:
- 14 oz. pierogies filled with cheddar cheese
- 4 slices prosciutto, sliced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ⅔ cups of Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Who would’ve thought that's all it takes to make the best pierogi casserole ever?
By the way, if you end up with some extra jarred alfredo sauce, you can use it to make this stuffed ziti fritta recipe with it next for another delicious recipe.
How To Make Pierogi Casserole
1. Cook prosciutto: Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a baking dish with cooking spray. Cook the prosciutto in a skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Remove the prosciutto from the skillet and set aside.
2. Cook garlic and onion: In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more until fragrant. Remove the onions and garlic and set aside.
3. Cook pierogies: Add some cooking spray to the same skillet and cook the pierogies until golden brown on each side. If you're using frozen pierogies, make sure to thaw them first.
4. Assemble the casserole: Add the onions, garlic, and prosciutto back to the skillet and stir to combine everything with the pierogies. Add half of the pierogi mixture to a glass baking dish. Pour half the alfredo sauce on top and add half the shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat the layers until you've used all of the ingredients.
5. Bake and serve: Bake the casserole for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Mix cream cheese and alfredo sauce for a thicker sauce.
- Swap the alfredo sauce with cream cheese for a more decadent casserole.
- Instead of prosciutto, use bacon bits, cubed chicken, sliced Italian sausage, or turkey sausage.
- Use other shredded cheese like colby jack cheese, mozzarella cheese, or even pepper jack cheese for a little spice instead of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve the casserole with green onions on top and sour cream for dipping.
How To Store Pierogi Casserole
In the fridge: Transfer the leftover pierogi casserole to an airtight container, and store it in the fridge for about 4 days.
In the freezer: Freeze the leftover casserole in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Put the leftovers back in a casserole dish with a splash of chicken broth and heat in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until warmed through. Thaw the frozen casserole in the fridge overnight or add more reheating time.
FAQS About This Pierogi Casserole Recipe
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare everything and assemble the casserole, then wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or put a lid on the baking dish. Store in the fridge overnight, then bake as directed the next day.
Can I use frozen pierogies?
Yes, frozen pierogies, like Mrs. T's pierogies, work great! You'll just either need to let them thaw before cooking, or fry them in the skillet for a few minutes longer.
What is a pierogi?
Pierogies are filled dumplings that typically have a potato mixture, savory filling, or sweet filling on the inside.
More Casserole Recipes
Did this cheesy pierogi casserole recipe get you in the mood to make more casseroles? If it did, we've got plenty of recipes for you to try next.
Here are some reader favorites:
- Pineapple casserole
- Chicken tater tot casserole
- John Wayne casserole
- Carrot casserole
- Pizza casserole
- Shrimp casserole
The BEST Cheesy Pierogi Casserole Recipe Made In Under 30 Minutes
This pierogi casserole is full of flavor. It combines cheddar cheese pierogis with savory onions, salty prosciutto, and rich alfredo sauce, all covered in a layer of melty cheddar cheese. Not only is it delicious though, but it's so, so easy to make too. In fact, just 10 minutes of prep work is all you'll need to put it together.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Casserole
14 oz. pierogies filled with cheddar cheese (or pierogies of your choice)
4 slices prosciutto, sliced
½ onion, diced
1 tsp garlic paste
⅔ cups of Alfredo sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook prosciutto in a skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Remove the prosciutto from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, cook onions until tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Remove onions and garlic and set aside.
- Add some cooking spray to the skillet and cook the pierogies until golden brown on each side. (If using frozen pierogies, make sure to thaw first)
- Add onions, garlic, and prosciutto back to the skillet and stir to combine with the pierogies.
- Add half of the pierogis to a baking dish. Pour over half the alfredo sauce and add half the shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat the layers and bake the casserole for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Protein: 16
Keywords: pierogis casserole, pierogi casserole, pierogis casserole recipe, pierogi casserole recipe, cheesy pierogi casserole, cheesy pierogi casserole recipe, best pierogi casserole, easy pierogi casserole, pierogi casserole recipe with alfredo sauce, pierogi casserole recipe with frozen pierogi,