This hamburger hash brown casserole recipe is so simple yet so delicious. It combines ground beef and hash browns in a rich and creamy sauce with melty cheese on top. The finished dish is loaded with flavor, and you'll be surprised by how easy it is to make!
Table of Contents
The Best Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
When it comes to hearty, comforting casseroles, it doesn't get much better than this ground beef hashbrown casserole.
It's made up of a combination of ground beef and frozen hash browns, mixed with creamy mushroom soup and finished off with shredded mozzarella cheese. It may not sound like much, but the baked casserole is to die for.
From the crispy hash browns to the flavorful beef and ooey gooey cheese, this is a casserole the whole family is guaranteed to love it!
It's so decadent and satisfying and really makes the perfect comfort food meal. I love making this hash brown hamburger casserole for a busy weeknight dinner, and it's also impressive enough to make if you're hosting.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It takes 10 minutes to prepare. All you have to do is cook the ground beef, then combine everything and layer it in your casserole dish. It's effortless!
Easy to customize. This savory ground beef casserole offers plenty of room for customization. You can add any extra ingredients you want, like veggies, toppings, or spices.
Versatile dish. This hamburger hashbrown casserole recipe works equally well for breakfast or dinner. Since the cooking process is so easy, you can whip it up anytime you need a quick and delicious meal!
Crowd favorite. Everyone who tries this cheesy ground beef casserole absolutely loves it. I'm constantly getting compliments when I serve it to guests, and it's a highly requested recipe for family dinners in the Cunningham household.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Ground beef- I used an 80/20 split for the best flavor.
- Frozen hash browns- make sure they're thawed and drained.
- Cream of mushroom soup- you can also use cream of chicken soup, cheddar cheese soup, or cream of celery soup.
- Onion- diced into small pieces.
- Milk- to add some creaminess to the soup.
- Salt and pepper- a pinch of each.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese- shredded cheddar cheese works great too.
- Fresh parsley- for a garnish.
You can use a lot of these same ingredients to make this french fry casserole, so you'll definitely want to try that out next. Oh, and if you have some extra frozen shredded hash browns, you can use them to make this chicken hashbrown casserole.
How To Make Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180ºC) and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or something similar in size with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook ground beef: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add the ground beef to it. Cook until it's browned on all sides, and break it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
3. Make the ground beef mixture: Put the cooked beef in a large mixing bowl and add the shredded hash browns, cream of mushroom soup, diced onion, milk, salt, and black pepper. Give everything a good mix to combine.
4. Bake: Transfer the ground beef hash brown mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake the casserole for 45 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and top it with the all of shredded cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
5. Serve: Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes, then serve hot with a garnish of fresh parsley and sour cream. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Put the frozen hashbrowns in the fridge the night before making this recipe so they can thaw.
- Remove excess moisture from the thawed hash browns so the casserole doesn't become soggy.
- Experiment with adding ingredients to the filling like shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, chopped green beans, or diced onions and peppers.
- Combine all of the ingreidents directly in the casserole dish instead of a bowl for an easy clean-up.
How To Store Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
In the fridge: Store any leftover hamburger casserole in an airtight container or cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap or a lid. The casserole will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Allow the casserole to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze for 2-3 months.
Reheating: Put the casserole back in a baking dish and warm it in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until heated through and the shredded cheese is melted. Let the frozen casserole thaw in the fridge overnight or add more reheating time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my hashbrown casserole soggy?
Your hashbrown casserole will be soggy if you don't drain the excess moisture from the thawed hash browns. You'll want to make sure they're fully thawed, then gently press on them with a paper towel to remove the water.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes! You can assemble the casserole up until baking and wrap it tightly with a plastic warp or cover it with a lid. Refrigerate the casserole for up to a day, and then bake as directed. You will need to add a few more minutes to the baking time before adding the cheese.
What can I serve with this hamburger hashbrown casserole?
This hamburger hashbrown casserole is delicious with these Texas Roadhouse rolls or Olive Garden breadsticks for dipping in the casserole. For a light side, you can serve it with this La Scala chopped salad or house salad.
More Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- Big Mac casserole
- Shipwreck casserole
- Crescent roll taco bake
- Tater tot taco casserole
- Taco hashbrown casserole
- Hamburger noodle casserole
- Cheeseburger tater tot casserole
- Hash brown casserole with corn flakes
- Hamburger mac and cheese
- 1 lb. (500g) ground beef
- 18 oz. (500g) frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1 cup mushroom soup
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or shredded cheddar cheese)
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180ºC) and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or something similar in size with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown the beef in a non-stick skillet, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Put the cooked beef in a bowl and add the hash browns, mushroom soup, onion, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the mozzarella cheese, and bake for 15 more minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve with fresh parsley on top.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 475mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g