This one pot Cajun sausage pasta recipe has quickly become a family favorite. It's made with juicy sausage, tender veggies, and al dente pasta, all swimming in a rich, creamy Cajun pasta sauce. Plus, it's super easy to make too. Just 5 simple steps are all you have to follow to put it together and they should take you no more than 30 minutes to complete.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
The cream sauce. If there's one highlight of this recipe, I think it's the cream sauce. It's so rich and cheesy, and it soaks into the pasta up perfectly. I could literally eat it up with a spoon!
A one-pot meal. I love to cook, but I hate doing dishes. That's why I love that this pasta dish comes together in one pot - there's only one dish to wash after I make it.
A family favorite. This Cajun sausage pasta recipe has quickly become a family favorite. In fact, I'd suggest making a double batch since everyone you share it with will want seconds - or thirds!
It's easy to make. All you have to do is brown the sausage, sauté the veggies, cook the pasta, then add in the cream sauce ingredients and give it a stir. It's foolproof!
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
One of my favorite things about this cajun pasta recipe is that it's made almost entirely out of kitchen/pantry staples. The only ingredient I typically have to pick up is the portobello mushrooms.
Everything else I almost always keep on hand.
Anyway, here's what you'll need to make this cajun pasta recipe:
- Sausage- pork or beef sausage, sliced thin.
- Pasta- I used penne pasta, but any kind will work.
- Olive oil- for browning the sausage.
- Bell peppers- for flavor and to make a heartier dish. I prefer red and yellow peppers for a pop of color.
- Portobello mushrooms- or any mushrooms you want, sliced the same size as the peppers.
- Cream cheese- essential for the cream sauce.
- Heavy cream- to thin out the pasta sauce.
- Paprika- for color and a subtle sweet, peppery taste.
- Chicken broth- I prefer low-sodium chicken broth, so I have more control over how much salt goes in the final dish. Vegetable broth will work too.
- Cheddar and parmesan cheese- for extra cheesy flavor in the pasta sauce.
- Fresh parsley- for garnish.
Simple stuff right?!
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN PASTA
1. Cook the sausages. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pan and add the sliced sausages. Fry for 5 minutes over medium heat, then remove them from the pan and set aside.
2. Sauté the veggies. To the skillet, add the peppers and mushrooms and fry until the veggies are soft.
3. Cook the pasta. Add chicken broth, penne pasta, and paprika. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the pasta until it's al dente.
4. Build the cream sauce. When the pasta is cooked, add the cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir until the cream cheese has melted and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Finish the pasta and serve. Return the sausage to the pan and add the cheddar and parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Finally, remove the cooked pasta from the heat, serve warm with fresh parsley, and enjoy!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST RECIPE
- Add a dash of Cajun seasoning for a more flavorful sauce.
- Use andouille sausage or any type of smoked sausage to make a more authentic Cajun recipe. I've even made this pasta with smoked turkey sausage, and it tasted great!
- Make it spicy with a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Add more veggies, like spinach, onion, or fire roasted diced tomatoes to pack in more nutrition. If you're using fire roasted tomatoes, make sure to strain out the liquid so the sauce remains thick and creamy.
- If you don't have a large enough skillet, a 7-quart Dutch oven works great.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT YOUR LEFTOVERS
In the fridge: Store any leftover pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
In the freezer: Allow leftover pasta to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: I like to reheat leftover pasta on the stovetop in a pan set over medium heat with a splash of milk to revitalize the sauce. You can also microwave pasta in 30-second intervals until it's fully reheated.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH THIS PASTA?
A few of my favorite things to serve with this Cajun sausage pasta include this Cheesecake Factory brown bread, this garlicy bread, and these sweet potato biscuits. It also goes well with some other lighter sides, like this Olive Garden salad or these Texas Roadhouse green beans.
WHAT ELSE CAN I USE IN THIS RECIPE BESIDES SAUSAGE?
This recipe would taste just as good with shredded chicken, shrimp, or a combination of the two!
MORE DELICIOUS PASTA RECIPES TO MAKE NEXT
- Prosciutto pasta
- Kielbasa pasta
- Olive Garden crock pot chicken pasta
- Pasta with ham and peas
- French onion pasta
- 1 pound pork or beef pork, sliced
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red bell-pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 6 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup parmesan, grated
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add sliced sausage and fry for 5 minutes over medium heat. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Add peppers and mushrooms to the same pan, and fry until veggies are soft.
- Next, add chicken broth, penne pasta and paprika. Stir just until everything is combined.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook until pasta is al dente.
- When pasta is cooked, add the cream cheese and heavy cream, and stir until the cheese is melted, and the sauce is thick.
- Return the sausage to the pan, then add cheddar and parmesan cheese. Stir everything well.
- Remove from the heat, and serve immediately. Garnish with the fresh chopped parsley.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 987Total Fat: 68gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 274mgSodium: 1463mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 62g