These Italian chicken cutlets are tender and juicy with an addictively crunchy and cheesy breading. They’re ready and on the table in less than 30 minutes and are made with just a few common ingredients! Seriously, chicken cutlets don't get better than this recipe.
Table of Contents
The Best Italian Chicken Cutlets
So, you've probably had chicken cutlets before, but you've never had Italian chicken cutlets like these.
Seriously, these are the best chicken cutlets you'll ever try, and they are the kind of dinner recipe that can make everyone at the table happy.
I mean, who doesn't love a chicken recipe that's crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside?
And not only are these crisp Italian chicken cutlets cracklingly crisp but they’re made even more delicious with a coating of parmesan cheese that’s fried right into the crunchy breading. Gah, they're just so good!
Pair the fried cutlets with some garlic bread, air fryer baked potatoes, or this crazy good Little Caesars cheese bread, and you’ve got yourself a winner-winner-chicken-dinner the entire family will love! You can even cut it up and add it to this Outback mac and cheese for the ultimate comfort meal.
Why This Recipe Works
Easy-to-make recipe. Even if you've never made chicken cutlets before, you'll nail this recipe on the first try. My cousin, who never cooks, makes these all the time, and he swears they always turn out incredible.
Crowd-favorite. Adults and kids love this recipe, so you know you'll have a hit for dinner!
The perfect Italian chicken cutlet. This recipe creates juicy chicken cutlets that have the most addictive crunchy breading, and they're seriously perfect.
This Italian chicken cutlets recipe is made with all common kitchen staples that you probably already have.
Check out what you need for the breaded chicken:
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups panko Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced thinly)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil plus more as needed
If you have any leftover panko from these fried chicken cutlets, you have to make these panko chicken tenders or panko breaded chicken next!
How To Make Italian Chicken Cutlets
1. Prep the breading: Mix the flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk the eggs in another bowl, then mix the parmesan cheese and panko Italian breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
2. Bread the chicken: Cover the chicken breasts with the flour, then dip it in the egg mixture to cover it, and lastly, transfer it to the breadcrumb mixture and coat it on both sides. Repeat with all cutlets.
3A. Fry chicken cutlets: Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high. Add the breaded chicken cutlets to the hot oil and cook for a few minutes until they're golden brown on both sides.
3B. Air fry chicken cutlets: You can also make air fryer chicken cutlets. After you’ve breaded the chicken, evenly spray both sides with olive oil or another neutral cooking spray. Heat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C), place the chicken in the air fryer basket, and air fry for 8-12 minutes until golden brown, flipping halfway through cooking.
4. Serve: Serve these crispy Italian chicken cutlets warm with the sides and a dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels before breading so everything sticks to the chicken.
- Slice chicken breasts horizontally to thin them out.
- If your chicken breasts are not all the same size, use a meat mallet to pound them out so they're evenly thin for consistent cooking results.
- Add more Italian seasoning to the bread crumb mixture for even more flavor.
- Use regular Italian breadcrumbs to change up the breading for a different texture.
- Press the chicken breast cutlets into the bread crumbs so it sticks, and they're fully covered on both sides.
- Make Italian chicken cutlets in the air fryer for the same delicious results if you don't want to use oil.
How To Store Fried Chicken Cutlets
In the fridge: Store any leftover cooked chicken cutlets in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Freeze the chicken in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container for up to 3 months.
Reheating: The best way to get these crispy chicken cutlets crispy again after reheating is to bake them in the oven or air fryer preheated to 375°F (190°C) for about 5-10 minutes or until warm.
FAQs About This Italian Chicken Cutlet Recipe
Should you flour chicken cutlets?
Yes, flouring your chicken cutlets is a pretty important step because it helps the egg wash cling to the meat. Without it, the slippery egg would just slide off the chicken, taking the breading along with it.
How to make chicken cutlets without breading falling off?
First, make sure to dry the chicken completely with paper towels or a kitchen towel before breading it. Then you'll want to make sure you thoroughly coat the chicken on all sides with flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
What is the best oil for frying cutlets?
Any high-heat oil or high-smoke point oil, such as olive oil, vegetable oil, or peanut oil, is best for making fried cutlets.
Breaded Italian Chicken Cutlets | Pan Fried or Air Fried
These chicken cutlets are tender and juicy with an addictively crunchy and cheesy breading. They’re ready and on the table in less than 30 minutes and are made with just a few common ingredients! Italian chicken cutlets don't get better than this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (sliced thinly)
1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl.
- Mix the parmesan cheese and panko in another bowl.
- Cover the chicken breasts with the flour, then transfer to the egg to cover it and transfer to the panko and parmesan bowl, press so it’s fully covered in the breading. Repeat with all cutlets.
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high and cook until it’s golden brown on every side.
- Serve with Chipotle Mayo.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 556
- Fat: 24
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Protein: 30
Keywords: Chicken cutlets, Chicken cutlet recipe, chicken cutlets in pan, chicken cutlets Italian, chicken cutlet, chicken cutlet recipe, chicken cutlet recipe easy, chicken cutlet recipe Italian, easy chicken cutlets, best chicken cutlet recipe, chicken cutlet recipe with panko, Breaded chicken cutlets, How to make chicken cutlets, Italian chicken cutlets, Breaded chicken, Chicken cutlet recipes, How to bread chicken
By far the best breaded chicken that I have ever tried!!!
My mom used to make chicken cutlets all the time and these reminded me of hers!
Best and I mean best breaded chicken that you'll ever try.
I didn't have panko so I used regular bread crumbs and it was still delicious!! I can't wait to try it with the panko.
Actually the only chicken recipe I want to make for the rest of my life it was so good!
I added a little parm to the breading and it was phenomenal!
Crispy and loved it.
This chicken is to die for!
Chicken cutlets have been my fav chicken recipe since I was a little girl and this is one of the top recipes I've made to date.