This homemade hot honey sauce recipe is an incredible way to spice things up in the kitchen! If you love Mike's Hot Honey you'll love this recipe. It's basically a take on his stuff, and it's so, so easy to make. So, say goodbye to plain old honey and hello to all the incredible dishes you'll be able to make with this sweet and spicy stuff. Pizza, chicken wings, and vegetables will never be the same again.
Table of Contents
Why you'll love this recipe
It takes minutes to make. This is such a fast recipe to make. Simply add and mix the ingredients until they're combined and you're done!
It uses simple ingredients. You probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry already. But, if you don't, everything used to make this hot honey sauce is easily found at any grocery store.
Perfect to make ahead. Because this hot honey sauce keeps for two weeks in the fridge, you only need to make it twice a month! I usually have to make mine more often because it doesn't stick around long in my house. Yep, it's too good.
- Honey- local honey is always my go-to, but store bought honey is fine, too!
- Smoked paprika- to bring a little spice into the sauce.
- Butter- melted, unsalted butter is best.
- Cayenne pepper- where most of the heat in this hot honey comes from.
- Garlic powder- for some added savory yumminess
- Kosher salt- to taste. It enhances the flavor in the hot honey.
How to make hot honey sauce
Step 1: Combine the honey and butter. In a glass jar, combine the honey and the melted butter. Stir until the ingredients are combined.
Step 2: Add the spices. In the same jar, add the cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and kosher salt.
Step 3: Stir the ingredients. Once the ingredients are added, stir the honey mixture so the ingredients are completely combined.
Step 4: Store and enjoy! Store the hot honey sauce in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. To use, allow to come to room temperature or warm gently in the microwave on half power until loose.
My tips to make the best hot honey sauce
- Using local honey is not only a great way to support local bee keepers, but it tastes delicious without any added ingredients.
- I recommend using unsalted butter because of the addition of the kosher salt. If you only have salted butter, that's fine, just use the kosher salt sparingly.
- Because there's butter in this hot honey sauce, it needs to be kept in the fridge at all times.
How to store and reheat the honey
In the fridge: Keep this hot honey sauce in the fridge at all times unless you're ready to use it. It should be stored in an airtight glass jar.
Reheating: You can easily get this sauce ready to use by popping it into the microwave for a few seconds, or letting it warm up to room temperature a little while before you're ready to use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my hot honey sauce is too thin?
You may have added too much butter so I recommend adding more honey. Just keep in mind that you may need to adjust your spices, as well if you end up with this issue.
How spicy is hot honey sauce?
Most hot honey's have a good kick to them, and this recipe is no different. The main determinant in this recipe for how spicy the honey turns out is how much cayenne pepper you use.
So, if you like a little bit of heat, add only a little bit of cayenne pepper. But, if you love spicy food you can totally add more than recommended.
What is your favorite way to use this hot honey?
As I mentioned before, this hot honey is so good on grilled chicken, roasted veggies, and pizza. However, another one of my favorite ways to use this sauce is over deep fried chicken wings.
More Sauce Recipes
- Seafood boil sauce
- Arby's sauce
- Halal Guy's white sauce
- Dumpling sauce
- McDonald's breakfast sauce
- Bloves sauce
- Tiger sauce
- Copycat Moe's queso
- Popeye's sweet heat sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ tsp. cayenne pepper plus more if desired
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Before using allow the sauce to come to room temperature or warm it gently in the microwave on half power to reliquify.
Serving Size:1 Tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 0g