I can’t get enough of this Mexican chicken salad recipe! It has all of the best Mexican spices in it along with tender shredded chicken, soft potatoes, and a creamy mayo-based sauce that's "knock your socks off" good. My wife and I love it so much, that we've been making it at least once a week for the past few months. Honestly, once you try it, you'll be hooked, too!
Regular chicken salad is delicious, but this Mexican version is even better! This recipe elevates the classic dish with the addition of Mexican seasonings, sour cream, and a blend of veggies.
It's the perfect refreshing and healthy lunch, easy make-ahead meal, or delicious spread to serve if you're hosting.
And trust me when I say, you're going to love how simple this dish is to make! It’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you don’t have time to make a huge spread. It comes together in about 30 minutes and it serves quite a few people. It’s a great dish to bring to parties or family events.
Also what I love about this dish is that it's perfect for using up leftover chicken you have in the fridge. It also uses really simple ingredients like potatoes, mayo, and sour cream. And I often have all of those ingredients on hand so it's a win-win.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love this Dish
Great make ahead dish. My wife and I usually make a big batch of this and eat it throughout the week. It keeps really well in the fridge and it’s the perfect quick lunch or snack with a side of fresh veggies.
Feeds a crowd. Like I mentioned before, this recipe makes quite a bit of Mexican Chicken Salad. And because it uses familiar flavors and spices, even the pickiest eaters will enjoy this dish.
Comes together quickly. As I said, this dish is super simple to make. It only takes about 30 minutes. It’s even easier if you have leftover chicken to use up.
- Chicken- cooked and shredded, chicken breast works best.
- Potato- diced, I used russet potatoes with this dish.
- Sour cream- a tangy base to the creamy sauce.
- Mayonnaise- creamy and smooth, mayo adds the perfect richness to this dish.
- Corn- frozen or canned, whole kernel corn.
- Frozen Mixed Veggies- thawd, any veggie blend will work.
- Juice of one lime- adds a brightness to the dish.
- Mustard- I used yellow mustard.
- Mexican seasoning- packs a punch of flavor.
- Salt and pepper- seasonings to taste.
- Tajin- for topping the chicken salad.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CHICKEN SALAD
Step 1: Boil the potatoes. In a large saucepan or stock pot, boil the diced potatoes in salted water until they’re fork tender. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
Step 2: Assemble the salad. Mix the shredded chicken, cooked potatoes, sour cream, mayonnaise, corn, veggies, lime juice, mustard, Mexican seasoning, and salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Then, once combined chill the salad for 2-3 hours.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy! Transfer the Mexican chicken salad to a serving dish and serve cold. If you’d like, top the salad with Tajín.
MY TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST MEXICAN CHICKEN SALAD
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. You want them to be fork tender, but not fall apart when pierced with the fork. This will ensure the potatoes don't turn to mush when you're assembling the salad.
- I place my cooked chicken in a mixing bowl and shred it using a hand mixer. It’s so much faster than using a fork.
- If you’re using canned corn, be sure to drain it really well before you add it to the chicken salad. It can make the salad overly watery if you don't.
- Frozen mixed vegetables work really well in this dish. Just make sure they're thawed and completely drained before adding them to the dish.
How to store and reheat leftover Mexican Chicken Salad
In the fridge: Storing this Mexican chicken salad in the fridge is super easy. Just transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for 3-5 days.
In the freezer: If you don't think you'll eat the leftovers within 5 days, you can transfer them to a freezer bag or freezer safe airtight container and store them for up to 3 months. Squeeze any excess air out of the freezer bag before storing it in the fridge.
Reheating: Since this dish is best served cold, there's no reheating needed. To thaw your frozen Mexican chicken salad, place it in the fridge overnight. It'll be ready to eat by lunch time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes this chicken salad Mexican?
The delicious blend of Mexican spices like cumin, chili powder, and Tajin all make this a Mexican-style chicken salad.
What is the best kind of chicken to use?
I prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this dish. They're tender and juicy when prepared correctly and shred really easily too. If you don't have chicken breasts, chicken thighs will work or any meat from a rotisserie chicken will work too.
What do you serve with Mexican Chicken Salad?
I love eating this salad with tortilla chips, fresh veggies like carrot or celery sticks, or alongside another delicious Mexican dish like this Mexican Casserole.
More Mexican Recipes
- Mexican potatoes
- Mexican lasagna
- Mexican flan
- Mexican street corn casserole
- Mexican chili
- Mexican meatloaf
- Mexican casserole made with ground beef
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup mixed frozen veggies, thawed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. Mexican seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Top: Tajín
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
- Mix chicken, potatoes, sour cream, mayonnaise, corn, veggies, lime juice, mustard, Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until chilled (around 2-3 hours)
- Serve cold and top with Tajín.
Serving Size:¾ Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 1113mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g