This slow cooker eye of round roast is absolutely loaded with flavor. This recipe coats the eye of round roast in an onion soup mix and slow cooks it until it's super juicy and tender. The finishing touch is a savory and decadent au jus for dipping. You're going to love this slow cooker eye of round roast!
Table of Contents
The Best Slow Cooker Eye of Round Roast
If you're looking for the perfect fuss-free recipe for preparing eye of round, this slow cooker eye of round roast recipe is where it's at.
Every time I make this recipe, I get the most tender roast that's perfectly cooked every single time! The combination of the pot roast seasoning along with this effortless slow cooking method makes for the best meat. Every bite is loaded with flavor, and it's so tender and juicy.
This recipe takes your typical roast beef to a whole other level, and you only need two ingredients and your handy crock pot to get dinner on the table. It's almost too good to be true!
Oh, and since most of the time spent making this crock pot eye of round roast is passive cooking, you'll have more than enough time to whip up some tasty sides to serve with it. This Outback mac and cheese, these ranch potatoes, or this loaded baked potato casserole are all great options.
Why This Recipe Works
Minimal prep time. All you have to do to make this recipe is season your eye of round, then pop it in the crock pot and let it cook. That's really all there is to it, and you should only need to be hands-on for a few minutes.
One pot meal. The best part about slow cooker meals is how everything comes together using, well, just the slow cooker! So not only is making this roast a breeze, but cleanup is a too.
A winning combination. Savory onion soup coats the beef and cooks for hours until you have a rich gravy and perfectly seasoned beef. What's not to love about that?!
As I mentioned earlier, the ingredient list for this tender pot roast is beyond simple. Check out everything you'll need:
- 3-4 Pound Eye of Round Roast
- 1 Packet of Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Cup Water
See, how easy is that?!
By the way, if you're looking for another recipe to use your onion soup mix, definitely check out these French onion pork chops next!
How To Make Eye of Round Roast In Crock Pot
1. Season the roast: Place the eye of round roast in the crock pot/slow cooker fat side up. Then, cover the beef with the onion soup mix.
2. Cook the roast: Put the lid on the crock pot and cook it on high for 3-4 hours. When the time is up, remove the roast from the crock pot and set it on the serving dish to rest.
3. Make the au jus: Add 1 cup of water to the crock pot and whisk to combine it with the juices.
4. Slice and serve: Slice the eye of round roast beef against the grain and serve warm with a side of au jus. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Swap the water for beef broth to make a more flavorful au jus sauce.
- Add ingredients like garlic powder, fresh garlic, Worcestershire sauce, or apple cider vinegar to the roast before cooking to add more flavor.
- Add vegetables like small Yukon gold potatoes, carrots, celery, or onion to the crock pot as it's cooking to make a pot roast.
- Sear the roast in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil before placing it in the crock pot, so it develops a caramelized crust.
How To Store Eye of Round Roast
In the fridge: Transfer the leftover eye of round roast beef to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Allow the roast beef to cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze it for up to 3 months. The au jus can also be stored in the freezer in a separate container.
Reheating: To reheat your leftover beef roast, just put it in an oven-safe dish and warm it up in the oven at 250°F for about 1 hour or until it reaches your desired temperature. Allow the frozen beef and sauce to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
FAQS About This Slow Cooker Eye of Round Roast Recipe
How do you cook eye of round roast so it is not tough?
The best way to cook eye of round roast so it is not tough is to slowly cook it at a high temperature in the crock pot. Then let it rest sufficiently before slicing it against the grain and serving it with au jus to make it more tender.
Is eye of round good for roast?
Yes, eye of round is a great choice for a roast since it makes for an affordable, tender, and juicy cut of beef when cooked properly.
Can you overcook a roast in a slow cooker?
Yes, while slow cookers are designed to cook over long periods of time, it is still possible to overcook a roast if it is left in the slow cooker past the point of being fully cooked.
Do you have to brown the roast before putting it in a slow cooker?
You don't have to brown the roast before putting it in the slow cooker, though that can help to lock in the flavor and create a caramelized exterior.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crock pot cube steak
- Crock pot sirloin tip roast
- Crockpot salsa chicken
- Crock pot taco casserole
- Crock pot cream cheese chicken
- 3-4 lb. Eye of Round Roast
- 1 Packet of Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Cup Water
- Place eye of round roast in Crock Pot fat side up.
- Cover beef with onion soup mix.
- Cover and set the crockpot to cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- When done, remove the roast from the crockpot and set it on the serving dish to rest.
- Add 1 cup water to the crockpot to make beef au jus. Mix and heat for a minute.
- Slice the beef against the grain and serve warm with the au jus.
Serving Size:½ lb.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 64g