These apple pie baked beans are the perfect side dish for any meal. They're made with tender butter beans, crispy bacon, and a sweet-and-tangy sauce that's addictive. This recipe is so much better than your average baked beans, and they're just as easy to make!
Table of Contents
The Best Apple Pie Baked Beans
I'll admit, beans aren't usually the most exciting part of dinner, but these apple pie baked beans will be the star of the meal!
This apple pie baked bean recipe is made with butter beans and crispy bacon, both coated in a sweet apple pie filling and BBQ sauce mix. Everything's simmered on the stovetop, then finished in the oven so the sauce thickens and the beans absorb all of that delicious flavor.
Trust me, after one bite, you'll never go back to plain canned baked beans again!
I love making these baked beans with apple pie filling in the Fall during apple pie season, but they make an absolutely delicious side dish all year round. You can serve them with these panko breaded pork chops and Texas Roadhouse rolls for a comfort food meal everyone will love!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Easy to make. All you have to do is blend the sauce, cook the bacon and onions, then combine everything in the skillet and bake it. The oven does most of the work, so you'll only be hands-on in the kitchen for about 10 minutes!
The sauce. The flavor of the homemade sauce in this recipe is out of this world good. You'll want to bottle it up and put it on everything!
Versatile. These delicious baked beans can make a meal all by themselves, or you can serve them with things like this cowboy cornbread casserole or this sausage and rice casserole for a hearty meal to serve a crowd.
Check out all of the simple ingredients you'll need for this apple pie baked bean recipe:
- 1 can (16 oz) apple pie filling
- 1 can butter beans
- 4 slices raw bacon
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
How To Make Apple Pie Baked Beans
1. Make the sauce: Preheat the oven to 330°F for later. In a food processor, combine the apple pie filling, barbecue sauce, and smoked paprika. Pulse until just combined, then set it aside.
2. Cook the bacon and onions: Fry the bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until the bacon is browned and crispy. Set the cooked bacon aside on a paper towel-lined plate. In the same skillet with the bacon grease in it, fry the diced onion until it softens.
3. Assemble the beans: Pour the apple pie sauce into the skillet and add the bacon and butter beans. Gently stir everything together until it combines.
4. Bake and serve: Put the skillet in the preheated oven and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Serve these apple pie baked beans warm with anything you want. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Swap the apple pie filling for peach pie filling for a different flavor.
- Use any canned beans you want, like Bush's baked beans, a different brand of canned baked beans, navy beans, or pinto beans.
- Experiment with adding ingredients like chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, or red pepper flakes to take the flavor up a notch.
- Swap the bacon for cooked sausage for a different flavor.
- Make these baked beans vegetarian by leaving out the bacon.
How To Store Apple Pie Baked Beans
In the fridge: Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and store the cooked baked beans in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Allow the leftover beans to cool completely, then transfer them to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze baked beans for up to 6 months.
Reheating: Put the leftovers back into a cast iron skillet or casserole dish and heat them up at 350°F for about 10-12 minutes or until they're fully reheated. You can also microwave individual portions in 20-second increments, stirring between each one. Let the frozen beans thaw in the fridge before reheating.
FAQS About This Apple Pie Baked Beans Recipe
What are apple pie baked beans?
Apple pie baked beans are baked beans made with apple pie filling, giving the beans a sweet taste and an extra layer of flavor. This recipe adds BBQ sauce, paprika, diced onion, and crispy bacon to tie everything together.
What is the best barbecue sauce to use?
The best barbecue sauce to use is a smoky barbecue sauce since the beans will already be sweet from the apple filling. You can also use a spicy BBQ sauce if you want to add some heat.
Can I use any type of beans?
Yes, you can really use any kind of canned beans like kidney beans, Bush's original baked beans, or navy beans, depending on what you have.
Can I make these apple pie baked beans in advance?
Yes! This baked beans recipe with apple pie filling can easily be made in advance. Just combine all of the ingredients in your skillet, then transfer them to a baking dish and cover with a lid or tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the beans overnight and let them come to room temperature before baking.
- Baked beans with ground beef
- Popeye's red beans and rice
- Grandma Brown's baked beans
- Bush's baked beans recipe
- Baked bean casserole
- Charro beans
- Preheat the oven to 330°F.
- Add apple pie filling, barbecue sauce, and smoked paprika to a food processor and pulse until just combined. Set aside
- In a cast-iron skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat until the bacon is browned. Set the crispy bacon aside.
- In the same pan, fry the chopped onion until it softens.
- Place the apple pie filling mixture, bacon, onion, and butter beans in the skillet and gently stir together.
- Put the skillet in the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 8g