Cold weather is on its way, and the perfect way to warm up is with this Mexican chili recipe! A spicy spin on a classic recipe, it's packed with ground beef and a depth of flavor from the Mexican seasoning and red chiles. Serve it up in a tortilla basket with avocado and sour cream, and you have a meal your whole family will love!
Table of Contents
My Take On Mexican Chili
I love a big bowl of chili on Sundays during the fall and winter, and I love Mexican flavors, so I had to combine the two to make this Mexican-inspired chili. I know I'm a little biased, but this recipe takes a classic homemade chili to another level!
It's filled with traditional ingredients like ground beef and beans, then elevated with the addition of corn, chiles, and the perfect seasoning.
I like to pair top it with some avocado and sour cream to balance everything out and make a hearty meal that'll satisfy everyone at the dinner table. Then I'll serve it with some tortilla chips and Torchy's queso, and it's a hit every time!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's made with simple ingreidents. This chili con carne uses all the traditional ingredients plus a few to give it an even better flavor. If you don't have them on hand, you can grab everything at your nearest grocery store!
It makes enough to feed a crowd. Need a big family dinner or a meal for hosting? This recipe is perfect! It makes about eight hearty servings, and it's so easy to double the recipe if needed.
It's easy to make ahead. I love making this recipe a few hours before dinner and then just letting it simmer. It makes the flavors even better and is a convenient meal to whip up if you know you'll have a busy night.
- Olive oil- for cooking
- Garlic and onion- for the classic savory flavor.
- Ground meat- I used ground beef, but you can also use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Chiles- for a little more heat.
- Mexican seasoning or taco seasoning- for the unique flavor.
- Corn- for the taco bowl vibes.
- Red beans- a classic ingredient.
- Crushed tomatoes- for the base of this recipe.
- Salt and pepper
- Tortilla baskets, red onion, avocado, and cilantro- for serving.
How To Make Mexican Inspired Chili
1. Cook veggies and meat. In a Dutch oven or large pot, cook the garlic, onion, and peppers over medium heat until they're soft. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking it apart, until it's browned on all sides.
2. Season. Add the Mexican or taco seasoning, corn, red beans, crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper to the pot. Mix well and cook on low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently until it thickens.
3. Serve. Spoon the warm chili into bowls or tostada shells and top with red onion, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro.
What Can I Serve With This Mexican Chili?
My Pro Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- If you find it's not as thick as you'd like, adding a bit of tomato paste during the simmering step with help you get a thicker and chunkier result. On the flip side, add a bit of tomato sauce if you want it thinner.
- Swap out the crushed tomatoes for a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes to kick up the incredible flavor.
- Cook the meat and veggies the day before to save some time making this recipe.
How I Recommend Storing and Reheating This Recipe
In the fridge: I love making a double batch to have the leftovers for dinner throughout the week. It's best stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days.
In the freezer: If you want to keep it for longer, transfer the chili to a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze it for up to 6 months.
Reheating: My favorite way to warm it back up is in a pot on the stove over medium heat. I'll warm it for about 5 minutes, stirring it every minute or so. For a quicker method, you can reheat it in the microwave in 20-second intervals until warm.
More Mexican Recipes To Try Next
- Mexican spaghetti
- Arroz rojo
- Mexican meatloaf
- Mexican pinto beans
- Mexican ground beef casserole
- Mexican cornbread casserole
- Taco stuffed shells
- Mexican Lasagna
- Mexican potatoes
- Mexican chicken salad
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 1-2 small Chiles, minced
- 2 tbsp. Mexican seasoning
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can (8 oz.) red beans
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings: tortilla baskets, red onion, avocado, cilantro
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, cook the garlic, onion, and peppers over medium heat until soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the Mexican seasoning, corn, red beans, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook over low heat for 20-30 minutes until thick and everything’s well combined.
- Serve with tortilla baskets, red onion, avocado, and cilantro.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 12.1gSaturated Fat: 4.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 25.4gFiber: 5.9gSugar: 3.1gProtein: 23.4g