This Frito taco casserole is beefy, cheesy, filled with taco flavors, and finished off with the satisfying crunch of chips. Honestly, it might be the most delicious taco casserole recipe ever created, and you'll love how quick and easy it is to make!
Table of Contents
The Best Frito Taco Casserole
If you like tacos, just wait until you give this taco casserole with Fritos a try! It's basically what would happen if a walking taco made a baby with a casserole, and let me tell you it's absolutely delicious.
This Fritos taco casserole is loaded with seasoned ground beef and melty cheddar cheese, along with taco toppings like corn, salsa, avocado, and of course, the Fritos corn chips. It's such a hearty, comforting, and flavor-packed meal you won't be able to get enough of!
Also, while tortilla chips and Doritos are often used in taco casseroles - I used them to make this chicken taco casserole and this Mexican casserole - Fritos may be the best salty and crunchy topping I've used in them yet.
Why This Recipe Works
Quick and easy to make. All you have to do is cook the ground beef, mix it with the rest of the ingredients, and the oven takes care of the rest.
One skillet meal. Everything for this Frito taco casserole recipe comes together in just one skillet, so the cooking process is a breeze!
The flavor. This taco casserole is filled with all of the best taco flavors, and the added crunch from the Fritos makes it addictive.
An instant family favorite. I've made this taco casserole a ton, and my family says it gets better every time. I have a feeling this will quickly become one of your family's favorite meals.
The ingredients for this Fritos taco casserole recipe are all really basic. Honestly, you might even have everything you need to make it on hand already!
Anyway, here are all of the ingredients you'll need to make this recipe:
- 0.75lb. ground beef
- 0.75oz. Taco seasoning mix
- ½ cup water
- 8oz. Fritos
- 12oz. can corn, rinsed, drained
- 12oz. salsa or red enchilada sauce
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado, lime wedges, hot sauce, and lettuce for serving
By the way, you can use almost all of these same ingredients to make this taco casserole with tortilla chips next!
How To Make Frito Taco Casserole
1. Prep: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Then, coat a cast iron skillet with some oil and set it over medium-high heat.
2. Cook the beef: Add the ground beef to the hot skillet and cook it for a few minutes - just make sure to break it apart until it's just browned on all sides. Now, once that's taken care of, you can add the taco seasoning and water to the skillet. Then, you can stir and cook everything for 3-5 minutes until the water thickens. When it does, you can remove the skillet from the heat.
3. Assemble the casserole: Add half the Fritos corn chips, corn, salsa, and half the shredded cheddar cheese to the beef mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then give everything a mix to evenly combine.
4. Bake the casserole: Either transfer the mixture to a casserole dish or keep it in the cast iron skillet and top the taco casserole with the remaining shredded cheese. Then, once you've got your casserole topped, you can bake it in the heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Serve: As soon as it's baked, you can serve this Frito taco casserole with the remaining Frito corn chips on top of it along with some chopped avocado and lime wedges.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Mix cream cheese with the cooked ground beef for a creamy casserole filling.
- Add refried beans or pinto beans to the casserole to make it even heartier.
- Swap the ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken for leaner taco meat.
- Make a homemade taco seasoning or add chili powder to the taco seasoning for more flavor.
- Bake the casserole in a casserole dish - or baking dish - for a more traditional casserole.
- Serve the Frito taco bake with sour cream, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, and shredded lettuce for all the taco vibes.
How To Store Taco Casserole With Fritos
In the refrigerator: Transfer the leftover Frito taco casserole to an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days. If you plan on saving some of the casserole, you'll want to top individual portions with the Fritos.
In the freezer: Store the leftovers in a freezer-safe bag - or an airtight container - in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Put your leftover walking taco casserole with Fritos in a casserole dish - or baking dish - and warm in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Top with Fritos and any of your favorite taco toppings before serving.
More Casserole Recipes
- Crescent roll taco bake
- Walking taco casserole
- Taco potato casserole
- Chicken tortilla casserole
- Taco rice casserole
- Taco casserole with Doritos
- Tater tot taco casserole
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook, breaking it apart, until browned.
- Add taco seasoning and water. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes until water thickens, then remove from the heat.
- Add half the Fritos, corn, salsa, and half the cheese to the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir until evenly mixed. Keep in the cast iron skillet or transfer to a baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the casserole with the remaining Fritos on top and chopped avocado, lime wedges, and some lettuce.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 710Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 34g