This crock pot chicken and rice is the ultimate dinner for busy weeknights. It has fluffy and tender brown rice with juicy chicken simmered in an irresistibly rich and cheesy cream sauce. It's a filling, flavorful, and comforting meal that'll have the whole family hooked!
When I'm craving something warm and hearty, there's nothing better than this cheesy crock pot chicken and rice.
The combination of cream of chicken soup, chicken stock, and cheddar cheese transforms in the slow cooker into an incredibly creamy, savory sauce. It takes plain chicken and rice to a whole new level of deliciousness!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Perfect family meal. This recipe makes enough for a big family dinner or for leftovers, you can enjoy throughout the week. Everyone always loves it, and this is the kind of dish that's just as delicious, if not more so, the day after.
Effortless to make. The crock pot takes care of all the cooking, making this the ideal recipe when you know you won't have time to cook later.
Simple ingreidents. You only need a couple of basic ingredients to make this slow cooker chicken and rice. You might even have some of them at home already!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Chicken breasts- I used boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Onion powder and garlic powder- for a delicious savory flavor.
- Salt and pepper- a pinch of each.
- Chicken stock- or chicken broth.
- Cream of chicken soup
- Brown rice- I used long grain brown rice. White rice works great too.
- Cheddar cheese- for some cheesiness.
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
1. Prep: Before getting started, preheat the crock pot on high for 1 hour.
2. Mix the ingreidents and slow cook: Add the chicken, brown rice, cream of chicken soup, chicken stock, and seasonings into the crock pot. Stir until everything is well combined. Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
4. Melt the cheese and serve: Stir the shredded cheese into the cooked rice and chicken and cover it again to let the cheese melt. Once the cheese has melted, serve your cheesy chicken and rice warm, with an optional garnish of chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Check on the chicken at the 3-hour mark to see how it's cooking.
- Try other condensed cream soups like cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup.
- Toss in some veggies like chopped carrots, corn, broccoli, or peas. Add them at the end to prevent overcooking.
- Swap the shredded cheese with pepper jack, Monterey jack, mozzarella, or any shredded cheese you want.
How To Store and Reheat
In the fridge: Let the leftovers cool, then transfer them to an airtight container and keep them for about 4 days in the fridge.
In the freezer: Store leftovers in a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: I've found the best way to reheat the leftovers is on a pot on the stove. Warm it up over medium heat with a little chicken broth, stirring occasionally, until warmed through. You can also microwave it in 30-second increments for a quicker method.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you cook raw chicken and rice at the same time?
Yes! It's so convenient since you can just toss the two in the crock pot. The rice will absorb the liquid from the chicken as it cooks, resulting in a richly flavorful meal.
How do you keep chicken from getting tough in a crock pot?
The best way to keep it from getting tough is to cook it with enough liquid. You'll want to check on the chicken every few hours as it cooks and add more liquid, like chicken broth, if it has dried up.
Can frozen chicken go in the crockpot?
Yes, frozen chicken can go in the crock pot. In fact, we have a great frozen chicken in the crock pot recipe you can check out!
More Crock Pot Recipes
- Crock pot chicken alfredo
- Crock pot chicken casserole
- Crock pot Buffalo chicken
- Crock pot BBQ pork chops
- Crock pot chicken wings
- Crock pot pork chops with stuffing
- Crock pot frozen turkey breast
- 0.75lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 10oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the Crock Pot to high 1 hour before cooking.
- Add the chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, chicken stock, cream of chicken soup, and brown rice into the Crock Pot.
- Stir thoroughly and close with a lid.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and cover with the lid. Allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve warm, and enjoy.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 24g