This crab casserole has quickly become my go-to seafood casserole. It's full of flavor from the juicy crab meat, crisp veggies, and rich, creamy sauce. The melted shredded cheese takes it over the top, and I know you're going to love this casserole as much as I do!
If you love crab, just wait until you try this crab casserole. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical at first, but after one bite, I was instantly hooked! It's honestly so good I have to resist eating the whole casserole myself when I make it!
My family loves it too, and everyone goes in for seconds, so it's a good thing this recipe makes quite a few servings. For an even heartier meal, I like to serve crab casserole with Bisquick cheddar bay biscuits.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's easy to make. This casserole recipe will only take 10 minutes to prepare. All you have to do is combine crab meat with the veggies and cheese, then toss everything in the creamy sauce and let it bake in the oven. I think it's effortless to make, and I have no doubt you will too!
Customizable. Just like all of my casserole recipes, this crab meat casserole is easy to customize. You can add or swap ingredients to suit your taste buds or possibly save yourself a trip to the store.
The flavor. This crab casserole recipe has a combination of flavors that's hard to describe. It's cheesy, creamy, savory, and tangy all at once, and I know you're going to love it!
- Crab- real crab meat or imitation crab meat.
- Cabbage- raw cabbage, shredded finely.
- Celery- one stalk, thinly sliced.
- Red bell pepper- chopped into pieces.
- Cheese- shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cream cheese- softened to room temperature.
- Mayonnaise- for the creamy filling. Sour cream works too.
- Lemon juice- to brighten up the flavors.
- Sugar- for an addictive touch of sweetness.
- Soy sauce- to give it that classic Crab Delight from your favorite Chinese buffet.
- Garlic powder- for a touch of savoriness,
- Salt- to taste.
If you have to run to the store for imitation crab meat, make sure to grab extra so you can make this kani salad next!
How To Make Crab Casserole
1. Prep work. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) grease a casserole dish with some nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
2. Make the crab mixture. In a large mixing bowl, combine the crab meat, cabbage, celery, red bell peppers, and ¾ cup of cheddar cheese. Mix until everything fully combines.
3. Make the cream sauce. In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, and salt.
4. Combine the crab meat and sauce. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the bowl with the crab meat and give it a good stir until everything is well combined.
5. Bake the casserole. Transfer the crab mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover it with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Variations and Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Combine all of the ingredients in the prepared baking dish, so you have fewer dishes to wash.
- I've made this casserole with a blend of shredded Swiss cheese and mozzarella cheese, and it tastes great. So feel free to use that instead of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Experiment with adding ingredients to the sauce, like Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, onion powder, or even Sriracha for a pleasant spicy flavor.
- Top the casserole with Ritz crackers crumbs before baking for an added crunch. It will give it a texture similar to my Ritz cracker chicken casserole.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
In the fridge: Store leftover crab casserole in an airtight container or in the casserole dish with the lid on and keep it in the fridge for 3-5 days.
In the freezer: Allow leftover crab casserole to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze crab casserole for up to 3 months.
Reheating: The best way to reheat the casserole is to put the leftovers back into a casserole dish and bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until it reaches your desired temperature. You'll want to thaw the frozen casserole in the fridge before reheating.
- 10 oz. real crab meat or imitation crab meat
- 1 ½ cup raw cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6oz. softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon soy sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a round baking dish with some cooking oil.
- Combine crab meat, cabbage, celery, red bell peppers, and ¾ cup of cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, and salt.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crab meat and give it a good stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the mixture to a prepared baking dish. Add the remaining cheddar on top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 16g