This banana cake with cream cheese frosting takes everything you love about banana bread to a whole new level! It's soft, fluffy, sweet, and loaded with fresh banana flavor. The smooth cream cheese frosting is literally the icing on the cake that ties everything together. It's just so good and might be the best cake I've ever had!
Table of Contents
The Best Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
This banana cake with cream cheese frosting recipe is the perfect dessert to make whenever you're craving cake or banana bread. It's literally a cross between the two, and this recipe has a few secret ingredients to make a totally new and unique dessert!
The banana cake has a light, soft, and fluffy texture that's like a cloud, and the sweet banana flavor is just to die for. The cake is honestly so delicious alone, but the smooth, tangy cream cheese frosting makes it one of the best banana cake recipes ever!
I love eating this banana cake with my morning coffee or as a special treat after dinner. Trust me, after you make this banana cake recipe with cream cheese frosting once, you'll want to eat it all day long!
Why This Recipe Works
A winning combination. The sweet flavor of ripe bananas pairs perfectly with the buttery cake and decadent cream cheese frosting.
Simple ingredients. This easy banana cake with cream cheese frosting uses common baking ingredients. I can almost guarantee you have all of them at home already!
Family favorite. Both kids and adults love this banana cake. It's become the staple dessert we have at birthday parties, get-togethers, or any other celebrations with family and friends. Everyone says it's the best banana cake they've ever had!
As I just mentioned, this banana cake recipe is made with simple ingredients. Here's what you'll need to make the banana cake:
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 small eggs
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
And here's everything for the cream cheese frosting:
- 6oz. cream cheese
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
If you have extra cream cheese frosting ingredients, you can put them to good use and make this chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting or this sugar cookie fruit pizza for your next dessert! Oh, and you can also use them to make this cream cheese banana bread, another one of my favorite recipes with bananas.
How To Make Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Combine the wet ingredients: Cream the butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until you have a fluffy mixture. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Then add the buttermilk and mashed bananas and stir until everything is just combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients: Add the cake flour and baking powder to the bowl of wet ingredients. Stir until you have a smooth batter with no lumps remaining.
4. Bake the cake: Transfer the cake batter to your prepared pan and bake the cake for 45 minutes.
5. Make the frosting: While the cake is baking, cream together the butter and cream cheese in a bowl. Add the powdered sugar and beat until you have a smooth frosting.
6. Frost the cake: Once the cake is done baking, allow it to cool completely. Then spread all of the cream cheese frosting on top. Slice the cake into about 9 slices, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Make a layer cake by making a double batch of batter and stacking the banana cakes on top of each other with a layer of frosting in between.
- Don't overmix the cake batter. Only mix until everything just combines.
- Add more powdered sugar to the frosting for a thicker consistency.
- Swap the buttermilk for sour cream if you want to make this banana cake with sour cream instead.
- Use overripe bananas for a more flavorful cake batter.
- Experiment with adding ingredients like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, cinnamon, or vanilla extract.
- You'll know the cake is baked when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How To Store Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
In the fridge: Transfer the banana bread cake slices to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for about 5 days.
In the freezer: Freeze the leftover cake in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and kept in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months. Let the frozen cake thaw in the fridge overnight before enjoying it.
FAQS About This Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Is there a difference between cream icing and cream cheese frosting?
Yes, cream cheese icing has a thinner, lighter, and runnier consistency. Cream cheese frosting is going to be thicker, fluffier, and easier to spread on a cake.
Is banana bread and cake the same?
No, banana bread has a denser, moister, and slightly chewier texture than cake. Banana cake is light and fluffy with a softer texture.
Can I make this banana cake ahead of time?
Yes! This banana cake actually tastes better if it has time to chill in the fridge for a day. You can easily bake this banana cake ahead of time and store it, covered, in the fridge until you're ready to serve. I recommend mixing the frosting and storing it in a separate container, then frosting the cake right before serving.
- Banana bread without baking soda
- No bake banana pudding cheesecake
- Peach cobbler with canned peaches
- Italian hangover cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the cake; cream butter with granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add buttermilk and mashed bananas and stir until combined. Fold in cake flour and baking powder. Stir until you have a smooth butter.
- Transfer the batter to a 9x13-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the frosting; cream the cream cheese and butter in a bowl. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Let the baked cake cool completely, then spread the frosting on top.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 590Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 8g