These smash burger tacos are a delicious spin on the famous smash burger! Smashed pork burgers are placed in soft flour tortillas and topped with your favorite Smash Burger sauce, melty cheese, and lettuce. This is a fun weeknight dinner that will never get old!
You've probably heard of or had a smash burger before, but have you had one as a taco? I first came across this unique combo when it went viral on TikTok, so I had to come up with my own version.
This recipe combines all of my favorite parts of a cheeseburger, like juicy ground beef, pickles, and lettuce, with a Big Mac-like sauce, all topped with melted cheese stuffed into crispy tortillas. The result is fun and delicious Big Mac smash tacos that are perfect for any occasion!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's quick to make. One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that it takes less than 20 minutes from preparation to serving! The most involved part is cooking the patties, which only takes 5 minutes. Then just assemble the burger tacos and serve.
You can customize them. This is one of those recipes that you can truly make your own. Load them up with any of your favorite burger toppings, cook the beef in taco seasoning, or swap the mayo sauce for this Qdoba queso. There are no wrong answers here!
A crowd favorite. There's a reason the smash burger is so famous, and serving it up as a taco is a whole new experience that kids and adults will both love! Plus, since they're so easy to customize, even the picky eaters will love this recipe.
Simple ingredients. The only essentials you really need to make these smash burger tacos are ground beef and tortilla shells. Other than that, you can load them up with anything you have in your fridge!
- Ground beef or pork- it'll make the best burger patties. You can also use pre-made patties.
- Mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard- for a simple rendition of the Big Mac sauce. For the legit sauce, check out my Big Mac sauce recipe.
- Pickles- diced, I used dill pickles.
- Lettuce- shredded iceberg lettuce works best for a crunchy texture.
- Tortillas- flour tortillas hold everything best. Fajita-sized tortillas work well here since they're the biggest.
- Cheese- sliced cheese, I used white American cheese, but any works!
- Seasonings- salt and pepper, to taste.
How To Make Smash Burger Tacos
Step 1: Prepare and cook the meat. Put a skillet over medium high heat and grease it generously with oil. Divide the meat into 4 portions shaped like burgers and place them in the griddle. Season evenly with salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.
Step 2: Add the tortilla. Place a tortilla on top of each meat portion and press down to flatten the meat into the shape and size of the tortilla. It doesn't matter if the tortilla is a little bigger, later you will cover it with cheese. Press the tortilla into the meat well with your hand or something heavy like a burger press.
Step 3: Add the cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until tortillas are golden brown and crisp on the bottom, and then turn. Reduce the heat to low. Top each tortilla and patty with the cheese. Cover the pan to allow the cheese to melt.
Step 4: Make the sauce. Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard in a small bowl. Stir the condiments until they're completely combined.
Step 5: Top the tacos and serve. Remove the tacos from the pan or griddle and top with lettuce, pickles, and sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Smash the burger down as flat as you can. This is what makes the patties so irresistible and gives them the crispy edges.
- Don't overcook the tortillas. You want them to be golden brown but not burnt. Burnt shells don't fold very well and they don't taste good, either. So watch them closely!
- Top the tacos with your favorite burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, or diced red onion, or your favorite taco toppings like black beans, rice, or avocado.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
In the fridge: The burger patties will store well in the fridge for a few days, but you won't want to store the assembled tacos. Place any leftover meat in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
In the freezer: You can store any leftover burger patties in the freezer for up to 3 months. I suggest wrapping the patties tightly and individually in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped patties in a freezer bag before storing them in the freezer.
Reheating: To reheat the burgers, warm them in a skillet over medium-low heat on each side for a few minutes. Then warm the tortillas and assemble the tacos according to the recipe instructions.
- The Bear spaghetti
- White Castle burgers
- Homemade McGriddle
- Applebee's quesadilla burger
- Taco Bell grilled cheese burrito
- Chick Fil A nuggets
- 1 lb ground beef (or pork)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 pickles, diced
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 8 slices of cheese
- Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and grease generously with oil. Divide the beef into 4 portions and place them in the hot pan or griddle. Season evenly with salt and pepper, and cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides.
- Place a tortilla on top of each meat portion and press down to flatten the meat into the shape and size of the tortilla (it doesn't matter if the tortilla is a little bigger, later you will cover it with cheese).
- Press the tortilla well with your hand or something heavy. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until tortillas are golden brown and crisp on the bottom, and then turn.
- Reduce the heat to low, top with the cheese, and cover to allow the cheese to melt.
- Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Remove the tacos from the pan or griddle and top with lettuce, pickles, and sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Feel free to fill these smash burger tacos with any burger toppings or taco toppings you want!
Serving Size:1 smash burger taco
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 545Total Fat: 29.9gSaturated Fat: 14.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 1285mgCarbohydrates: 22.2gFiber: 3.1gSugar: 5.8gProtein: 47g