This sloppy joe tater tot casserole combines layers of juicy ground beef with tender peppers, onions, and a flavorful sloppy joe sauce. Then, all of that deliciousness gets topped with crispy tater tots and melted cheddar cheese! Plus, in addition to being absolutely so yummy, it's also so easy to make. In fact, just a handful of simple steps are all you'll have to follow to whip it up.
Table of Contents
The Best Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
If you enjoy nostalgic sloppy joe sandwiches, just wait until you try this delicious sloppy joe tater tot casserole recipe!
It has all of the best parts about sloppy joes, but also a few additions that take it to another level. Instead of being piled high in a bun, the sloppy joe mix is layered in a casserole dish and topped with tater tots and shredded cheese. All of those delicious flavors get baked until the tater tots are perfectly golden brown and crispy and the cheese is ooey-gooey.
How good does that sound?!
It's perfect for whipping as a big family dinner and everyone always loves it! Well, that's always the case at our house anyway.
Why This Recipe Works
Simple to make. All you have to do is cook the ground beef and veggies, simmer the sauce, layer everything in a casserole dish, and then let the oven take it from there. Honestly, it's just as easy as making regular sloppy joes - it might be even easier!
The flavor. From the juicy ground beef to the tangy sloppy joe sauce to the crispy tater tots covered in melted cheese, there's a lot to love about this casserole. It's just yumminess on yumminess on yumminess.
Better than the sandwich. Classic sloppy joes are pretty darn good, but this casserole version with tater tots instead of buns is even better. Everyone who tries it will agree - even the kids - and this hearty casserole will be a meal the whole family enjoys!
The ingredient list for this sloppy joe casserole recipe is also super simple.
Here's everything you'll need:
- 1lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 14oz. canned corn, rinsed, drained
- 24oz. Sloppy Joe sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 32oz. frozen tater tots
How To Make Sloppy Joe Casserole
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 450°F and lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook the ground beef: In a large skillet, cook the ground beef - breaking it apart as you go - until it's browned on all sides. Then, drain the excess grease from the skillet once it's done cooking.
3. Add the flavor: Add the corn, onions, and red bell pepper to the skillet with the cooked ground beef. Cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften. Then, add the sloppy joe sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine everything, and let the meat mixture simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat.
4. Assemble the casserole: Add the sloppy joe mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top it with half of the shredded cheddar cheese, then add the frozen tater tots on top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tater tots.
5. Bake and serve: Put the casserole dish in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes. Serve your tater tot sloppy joe casserole warm, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Make homemade sauce for a more authentic flavor.
- Use Manwich sauce for the beef mixture to save time having to cook the peppers and onions.
- Switch up the shredded cheese and use Colby jack cheese, mozzarella cheese, or pepper jack instead.
- Add a spoonful of cream cheese to the sauce for a richer, thicker consistency.
- Broil the casserole for 2-3 minutes when it's done cooking to crisp up the tater tots even more.
How To Store Sloppy Joe Casserole
In the fridge: Store this delicious casserole in an airtight container or cover the baking dish with a lid and store it for about 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Allow the leftovers to cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container and freeze the casserole for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Transfer the leftover casserole back to a baking dish and warm it in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until it's fully warmed through.
FAQS About This Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
What can I serve with sloppy joe casserole?
Tater tot sloppy joe casserole can be served with these Texas Roadhouse rolls, Bisquick cheddar bay biscuits, or Jiffy jalapeno cornbread for dipping in the sauce. With that said, if you want a lighter side, you can serve it with this house salad.
What is sloppy joe sauce made of?
Sloppy joe sauce is typically made up of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, yellow mustard, and apple cider vinegar.
Can I make sloppy joe tater tot casserole ahead of time?
Yes! To make your sloppy joe tater tot casserole in advance, just prepare the ground beef and sloppy joe sauce mixture and store it in the fridge for a few days. Then, when you're ready to make the casserole, just layer the beef and sauce mixture, the frozen tater tots, and the shredded cheese and bake everything together for about 30 minutes.
More Casserole Recipes
- French fry casserole
- Pulled pork casserole
- Meatball sub casserole
- Hot dog casserole
- Chicken bacon ranch casserole
- Chicken cordon bleu casserole
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Prepare the baking dish by greasing it with some nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet until browned, breaking it apart as it cooks. Drain excess fat.
- Add corn, onions, and red bell pepper. Cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes.
- Add Sloppy Joe sauce and paprika powder. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the beef mixture to the baking dish.
- Top the beef with half the cheese, then add tater tots on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tater tots.
- Bake the casserole for 20 minutes. Serve the casserole warm.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 659Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 32g