This cream of wheat recipe is so much better than your typical cream of wheat. Rich, creamy, and filled with a cinnamon brown sugar flavor, it's the perfect way to start your day!
Table of Contents
The Best Cream Of Wheat Recipe
This cream of wheat recipe is a tasty breakfast that you'll want to make again and again. It puts a little spin on a classic breakfast staple, and I'm not gonna lie, the results are amazing.
It has a smooth and creamy texture with a deliciously sweet brown sugar cinnamon flavor that'll have you jumping out of bed in the morning. It's so good!
Honestly, there's nothing better than a delicious bowl of cream of wheat to start the day off right, and you'll love how easy it is to make with this homemade recipe.
Why This Recipe Works
Quick and easy. Everything gets cooked together in one pot in under 20 minutes, and the cooking process is effortless.
It's satisfying. Eating cream of wheat in the morning is a great way to fulfill your hunger for the first half of the workday. One bowl and you'll be satiated until lunch!
Versatile. You can add so many different things to the hot cereal mix, and it's delicious with a variety of toppings.
Family favorite. My nieces love this cream of wheat and always ask me to make it in the mornings, so you'll have a healthy breakfast that you and your kids can enjoy!
The ingredients you'll need to make this creamy wheat cereal are pretty basic, and you might have some on hand already!
Check out what you need to make cream of wheat:
- 2 cups skim milk
- ⅓ cup Cream of wheat
- ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Fresh blackberries, walnuts, and dried mango
How To Make Cream Of Wheat
1. Combine the ingredients: Pour the milk into a pot and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the cream of wheat to the hot liquid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer while the cream of wheat absorbs the liquid.
2. Cook the cream of wheat: Stir the cream of wheat continuously as it cooks for about 2-3 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
3. Add the toppings and serve: In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and brown sugar together. Serve the cooked cream of wheat in a bowl topped with fresh berries, dried mango, walnuts, and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Constantly stir the cream of wheat as it cooks with the milk. This will ensure it doesn't burn, and you'll get the creamiest texture possible.
- Swap the milk for non-dairy alternatives like almond milk, coconut milk, soy milk, cashew milk, or oat milk.
- Make this wheat cereal in various flavors. Add sliced peaches for cream of wheat peach cream, cocoa powder for cream of wheat chocolate cream, or pumpkin spice for cream of wheat pumpkin cream.
- Customize the toppings. Serve with chocolate chips, a sliced banana, fresh fruit, chopped nuts, or any of your other favorite toppings.
How To Store Cream Of Wheat
In the fridge: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
In the freezer: Let the cream of wheat cool and store in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheating: Add the leftover cream of wheat to a saucepan and heat on medium heat, stirring constantly until warmed through. If needed, add a bit of milk to reach your desired consistency. You can also microwave it in 30-second increments, stirring between each one.
FAQs About This Cream Of Wheat Recipe
How is Cream of Wheat made?
Cream of wheat is made simply by cooking it on the stovetop with milk or water until it thickens up and reaches a soft, creamy consistency. It is common to cook it with spices or something to add a sweet flavor.
What is the best ratio for Cream of Wheat?
The best ratio for the creamiest consistency is 2 cups of milk for every ⅓ cup of cream of wheat.
What do you mix with Cream of Wheat?
Cream of wheat is delicious mixed with things like sugar, brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup for a sweet flavor. You can also mix in warm spices like cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
Is cream of wheat healthier than oatmeal?
Both cream of wheat and oatmeal are great choices when it comes to having a healthy breakfast. Cream of wheat is lower in calories and rich in iron and B vitamins. Oatmeal is higher in fiber and a great source of phosphorous, thiamine, magnesium, and zinc.
More Breakfast Recipes
- 2 banana bread recipe
- Waffle recipe for one
- Fluffy pancakes for one
- Brownie baked oatmeal
- McDonalds oatmeal recipe
- Starbucks overnight oats recipe
- Bring milk to a boil in a pot over high heat.
- Add cream of wheat and reduce heat to low. Simmer while the cream of wheat absorbs the liquid.
- Continue to stir while the cream of wheat cooks for about 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar.
- Top with fresh blackberries, dried mango, walnuts, and the cinnamon sugar mix.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 8g