This cherry dump cake combines sweet, buttery, and crumbly deliciousness in one easy cherry dessert. It can be prepared in 5 minutes, making it the perfect quick dessert for any occasion!
Dump cakes have got to be one of my favorite desserts to make. They're easy to prepare, are made with simple ingredients, and taste amazing. This easy cherry dump cake is just the recipe to make when you want a delicious dessert but are in a pinch and don't have time to make something from scratch.
It's the perfect recipe to bring to a picnic, cookout, or any holiday gathering. Serve it up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a cherry dump cake that's simply irresistible!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Quick to make. All you have to do for this recipe is layer the cherry pie filling, butter, cake mix, and more butter. The rest is up to the oven to bake it to golden brown perfection.
Crowd favorite. Every time I make this for a party, everyone asks for the recipe and goes in for seconds and sometimes thirds!
A winning combination. Even though the ingredients this recipe uses are simple, the flavor is complex and dimensional. The smooth cherry filling combined with the crisp, buttery topping is truly unlike other dump cakes.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Cherry pie filling- you can also make this recipe with blueberry pie filling, apple pie filling, or peach pie filling.
- Yellow cake mix- or any cake mix flavor you want.
- Vanilla extract- for more flavor.
- Butter- for the golden crust on top.
- Cinnamon- the warm spice balances out the sweetness.
- Vanilla ice cream- for serving to make this an extra indulgent dessert.
You can use a few of these ingredients to make this cherry cheesecake, so check that out next for another one of the best cherry recipes you can make!
How To Make Cherry Dump Cake
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and spray a baking dish or pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix cherry filling: Add the cherry pie filling, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to the prepared baking dish and stir to combine. Cut the butter into cubes and sprinkle ¼ cup butter cubes over the cherry filling.
3. Add cake topping: Sprinkle the yellow cake mix evenly over the cherry pie filling using your hands or a spoon. Scatter the remaining butter cubes evenly over the dry cake mix topping.
4. Bake and serve: Put the baking dish on the middle rack of the oven and bake the cake for about 40-50 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden brown and the cherry pie filling is bubbly. Serve cherry dump cake with ice cream, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Use different cake mix flavors. For example, you can make a chocolate cherry dump cake by using a chocolate cake mix. Or you can use a white cake mix, vanilla cake mix, lemon cake mix, or any other boxed cake mix you want!
- Check on the dump cake frequently towards the end of the baking time to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Substitute vanilla extract for almond extract if you want a more pronounced flavor.
Storing and Reheating Instructions
Fridge: If you have leftovers, wrap the baking pan tightly with plastic wrap or transfer the cake to an airtight container. Store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Store any leftover cake in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating: To reheat the cake, the best way it to bake it at 350°F in a baking dish for about 15 minutes. Make sure to thaw the frozen cake overnight in the fridge before reheating.
More Dump Cake Recipes
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream, serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the cherry pie filling, vanilla extract, and cinnamon to the baking dish and stir to combine.
- Cut the butter into cubes. Add ¼ cup butter cubes over the cherry filling.
- Sprinkle yellow cake mix evenly over cherry pie filling, using your hands or a spoon.
- Scatter the remaining butter cubes evenly on top of the cake mix.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the top of the cake is golden brown and the cherry mixture is bubbly, about 40-50 minutes.
- Serve warm with the ice cream, and enjoy.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 605Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 16g