This cake mix banana bread recipe brings banana bread to a whole new level. It's moist, cakey, and spongey with a deliciously sweet banana flavor. You'll want to eat the entire loaf, and you'll love how easy this recipe is to make!
Table of Contents
The Best Cake Mix Banana Bread
This cake mix banana bread recipe is the perfect place to start if you've never made banana bread before or if you just want a quick and easy baked good.
Making banana bread with cake mix takes half the time and effort as regular banana bread, but it's just as delicious!
I actually think this cake mix banana bread is even better than the ones made from scratch. It turns out super moist with a spongey, cakey texture that's to die for. Each bite has just the right balance of sweet banana flavors with hints of cinnamon and vanilla.
This really is the perfect banana bread!
I love eating it for a quick breakfast or a satisfying dessert. Trust me, after you take one bite, you'll be looking for every excuse to have a slice of this cake mix banana bread!
Why This Recipe Works
Quick and easy. All you have to do is mash the bananas, combine the ingredients, and the batter will be ready to bake in under 10 minutes!
The texture. This banana bread is a mixture of a light, spongy cake, and a moist, dense banana bread. You just can't get that consistency in any other recipe!
You can eat it any time of day. It's the perfect quick on-the-go breakfast, mid-day pick-me-up, and delicious dessert.
Family favorite. This homemade banana bread is a Cunningham family favorite. It's been our go-to banana bread recipe for quite some time now, and it gets better each time. I guarantee everyone you make this for will love it too!
Not only is this banana bread with cake mix easy to make, but you only need 7 simple ingredients. You probably even have most, if not everything, you need at home already!
Check out what you need to make this banana bread with cake mix:
- 15oz. whole wheat or yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or gingerbread spice mix
- 3 ripe bananas or overripe bananas
- ⅓ cup neutral oil
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
If you're grabbing yellow cake mix from the store, pick up an extra box so you can make this peach cobble with cake mix next!
How To Make Cake Mix Banana Bread
1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or generously grease it with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2. Mix the wet ingredients: Mash the bananas in a bowl using a fork. Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, oil, and sour cream to the mashed bananas. Beat these ingredients with a handheld mixer or electric mixer until they combine.
3. Finish the banana bread batter: Add the eggs to the bowl and stir until they're fully incorporated. Finally, add the yellow cake mix to the bowl and stir until a smooth batter forms.
4. Bake the banana bread: Transfer the banana bread batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake the banana bread for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it cool for a minute, then serve warm with some butter on top and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Use butter pecan cake mix, spice cake mix, or white cake mix for a different flavor.
- Use chocolate cake mix and add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to make chocolate banana bread.
- Add chocolate chips to the batter to make chocolate chip banana bread.
- Make banana nut bread by adding some chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Use overripe bananas for super moist banana bread.
- Make a simple vanilla glaze with a cup of powdered sugar, a splash of water or milk, and teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix the ingredients to a glazing consistency and top the banana bread loaf with it.
How To Store Banana Bread With Cake Mix
At room temperature: This cake mix banana bread is best stored at room temperature. You can slice it or keep it whole and store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
In the fridge: Wrap the loaf or slices tightly in plastic wrap and transfer to a Ziploc bag. It will last for about 5 days. Just keep in mind it may dry out faster than at room temperature.
In the freezer: Transfer the banana bread wrapped in plastic wrap to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 4 months.
Reheating: if you're craving that fresh-out-the-oven experience, you can reheat the banana bread slices in the microwave for 8-10 seconds. Add a slab of butter on top to melt, and enjoy! Let the frozen banana bread thaw in the fridge overnight or add more reheating time.
FAQs About This Cake Mix Banana Bread Recipe
Why is banana bread a bread and not a cake?
Banana bread is considered bread because it's denser than a cake. It is also baked in a loaf pan instead of a round cake pan.
How much applesauce equals one banana?
You can replace 1 banana with ½ cup of applesauce. If you want to use applesauce to make banana bread, do not exceed ½ cup of applesauce because the batter will become too wet and will not bake down.
Can I make this banana cake into muffins?
Yes! Just pour the batter into a muffin tin instead of a loaf tin. The cooking time may vary, so make sure to constantly check the banana muffins as they are baking.
- 2 banana bread recipe
- Hawaiian banana bread
- Cream cheese banana bread
- Banana bread without baking soda
- No bake banana pudding cheesecake
- Peach cobbler with canned peaches
- Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or generously grease it with butter.
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl using a fork.
- Beat bananas with vanilla, cinnamon, oil, and sour cream.
- Add in the eggs and stir until smooth.
- Add the cake mix and stir until the batter comes together.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the banana bread for 55 minutes or until the inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g