This apple coffee cake recipe features tender apples baked into a moist, spongey cake topped with a cinnamon streusel and incredible homemade glaze. It's a fall favorite in our house that's equally delicious for breakfast, brunch, and dessert!
I've been on an apple kick this year and love coffee cakes, so I had to combine the two! Adding apples to a warmly spiced coffee cake is so delicious, and the two toppings I finish it off with make it irresistible. Whether you're making this to bring to a friend's house, the holidays, or just for your family, it's a treat everyone will love!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The combination is amazing. This buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cake has layers of tart apples sweetened and spiced with cinnamon and sugar. Finished off with an apple pie spice streusel topping and brown sugar glaze, it's crazy addictive!
- It's easy to make. It may seem intimidating to make a coffee cake from scratch, but it's actually really simple with this recipe. I'll walk you through each step, and even if you're new to baking, you'll have no problem making this turn out perfect!
- It's such a versatile baked good. This apple streusel coffee cake can be served for a sweet breakfast, brunch, a snack with coffee, or dessert! It's so tasty you'll want to have a piece at all times of the day. Trust me, you won't be able to get enough of this!
Ingredients You'll Need
For the cake:
- Butter- make sure it's softened before adding it in.
- Brown sugar- adds a dark, caramelly flavor.
- Eggs- to provide structure to the batter.
- Flour- all-purpose flour works best.
- Baking powder- gives the cake that amazing fluffy texture.
- Apple pie spice- the easiest way to add dimensional flavor to this apple treat.
- Sour cream- the key to this moist, soft cake.
- Vanilla extract- because what baked good goes without it.
- Granny Smith apples- make sure they're peeled, cored, and chopped.
For the streusel topping:
- Flour- the base of the topping.
- Brown sugar- for the sweet flavor.
- Apple pie spice- continues the apple theme
- Butter- brings all of the ingredients together. Again, make sure it's softened.
For the glaze:
- Brown sugar- my secret ingredient to make the most addictive glaze ever.
- Hot water- helps dissolve the ingredients. Add it in slowly until you get your desired glaze consistency.
- Apple pie spice- helps enhance the apple flavor.
How To Make Apple Coffee Cake
1. Combine wet ingredients. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch baking dish with some butter or nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat the butter with the brown sugar until fluffy. Then add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the sour cream and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
2. Add the dry ingredients. Fold the flour, baking powder, and apple pie spice into the wet ingredient mixture. Finally, fold in the chopped apples and mix until just combined, then transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
3. Make the topping. Combine the flour, brown sugar, and apple pie spice in a large bowl. Add the softened butter and mix it together with the rest of the ingredients with a fork. You'll want to mix until it forms coarse crumbs. Then add the crumbs evenly to the top of the coffee cake batter.
4. Bake. Put the dish in the oven and bake the cake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Make the glaze. Combine the brown sugar and apple pie spice in a bowl. Slowly add the hot water and stir until it just combines.
6. Glaze and serve. Drizzle the glaze immediately over the warm cake. Then let the cake cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Make sure you smooth out the top of the batter in the tray so it cooks evenly.
- Make the glaze while you wait for the cake to bake to save time, then add it right after it bakes.
- Add more hot water if the glaze is too thick. You can use less if you prefer a thicker glaze.
- Try using different apples like Honeycrisp, Jonagold, or Fuji apples for a sweeter flavor.
- Mix some chopped pecans or walnuts in with the topping for a little crunch.
You can store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days or in the fridge for up to a week. To keep it for longer, either store the cake in a freezer-safe bag or wrap slices in plastic wrap and keep in a freezer-safe bag. You can freeze it for up to 3 months.
This apple coffee cake tastes delicious at room temperature, but if you want to warm it up, my go-to method is to microwave a slice for about 15 seconds.
More Apple Recipes
For the cake:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
For the topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 4 tablespoon butter, softened
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon hot water
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch baking dish with some butter.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add sour cream and stir with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, and apple pie spice. Finally, fold in chopped apples and transfer the mixture into the baking dish. Make sure to smooth the top.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, and apple pie spice in a bowl. Mix the softened butter with the rest of the ingredients with a fork. You should get coarse crumbs.
- Add the crumbs evenly to the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the glaze; combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl. Add more water for a thinner glaze if desired.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the warm cake. Cool the cake for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Try using different apples like Honeycrisp, Jonagold, or Fuji for a sweeter flavor.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 12.8gSaturated Fat: 7.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 47.1gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 24.7gProtein: 4.5g