This sweet rice pudding with condensed milk takes old fashioned rice pudding to a whole new level. It's so comforting and creamy with the perfect balance of sweet and spiced flavors. Once you get a bite of this beloved pudding, you'll want to make it all the time!
This delicious rice pudding with condensed milk is unlike any other one I've ever had before. It's sweeter, creamier, and more delicious. I've ordered rice pudding for dessert at a bunch of restaurants, and I think this homemade version is even better!
After I cracked the code on how to bring this traditional treat to the next level, I had my wife try it. She's never been a fan of rice pudding at all, but once she tasted this arroz con leche recipe, she fell in love! So I have a feeling you're going to love it too.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
The flavor and texture is amazing. The secret ingredient that makes this recipe so darn good is the condensed milk. It gives the pudding an extremely creamy texture and sweet flavor. That, mixed with raisins and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, will make even the skeptics love rice pudding!
Foolproof This creamy rice pudding recipe comes out perfect every time. Even if this is your first time making rice pudding from scratch, you'll nail this recipe! Follow the simple steps, and you'll never be disappointed.
Quick and easy. This easy rice pudding recipe only takes 20 minutes max to make. So you can whip this up whenever you want a delicious treat fast!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Butter- unsalted butter since we're adding some salt.
- Long grain rice- I like to use white rice.
- Water- for cooking.
- Half and half- for some extra creaminess.
- Vanilla extract- adds a delicious flavor.
- Cinnamon- a cinnamon stick or stick of ground cinnamon
- Nutmeg- for another spice element.
- Raisins- optional addition, but I think they make it even better.
- Salt- just a pinch.
- Sweetened condensed milk- the ingredient that makes this so darn good.
How To Make Rice Pudding with Condensed Milk
1. Toast the rice. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, and let it melt. Add the rice to the pan and stir it into the melted butter. Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes while stirring to coat it with butter.
2. Cook the rice. Add the water, half and half, raisins, cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon, and nutmeg to the saucepan. Stir frequently to allow the rice to absorb the liquid. Once the liquid begins to boil, lower the heat to keep a gentle simmer. Make sure to stir occasionally to ensure the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Add condensed milk. Once the rice has absorbed the liquid, add the condensed milk. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until it's creamy. When you're ready to serve, remove the cinnamon stick and ladle the pudding into serving bowls. Serve warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Don't forget to stir everything as it cooks.
- If you're short on time, make this rice pudding with cooked rice. If you have leftover rice in the fridge, even better!
- Use any rice you want, like brown rice, jasmine rice, or medium-grain white rice.
- Add a sprinkle of brown sugar on top to make it simply addicting.
- I've made this rice pudding with chocolate chips and dried cranberries instead of the raisins, and each version is equally delicious.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Fridge: Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days. It makes a delicious quick dessert, and I think it might taste even better leftover.
Freezer: To keep longer, store the leftovers in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4 months.
Reheating: I actually think the arroz con leche is delicious cold with a splash of milk to thin it out. With that said, you can definitely reheat it. Just add some milk to the pudding and microwave it in 10-second increments stirring between each until it's warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I add to rice pudding?
It's delicious topped with so many things like fresh fruit, sliced bananas, peanut butter, or strawberry compote. You could even mix in cocoa powder and add chocolate chips for a chocolatey flavor.
What is the best rice to use for rice pudding?
Any long grain rice is typically best since it absorbs the liquid better. The most commonly used is long grain white rice. That said, you can really use any kind of rice you want.
More Dessert Recipes
- Crepe cake
- Fried ice cream
- Sopapilla cheesecake
- Crescent roll cinnamon rolls
- Cinnamon Rolls With apple pie filling
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 and ½ cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- ⅓ cup raisins
- pinch of salt
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Stir rice into the melted butter. Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes while stirring to coat the rice in butter.
- Add the water, half and half, raisins, and spices to the saucepan. Stir frequently as the rice absorbs the liquid. Once the liquid begins to boil, lower the heat to keep a gentle simmer. Make sure to stir to ensure the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the rice has absorbed the liquid, add the condensed milk. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, remove the cinnamon stick and ladle the pudding in serving bowls.
- Garnish with ground cinnamon on top.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 12g