This old fashioned cornbread recipe will become a staple in your home, and after one bite, you'll see why! This cornbread is light and fluffy with a rich buttery flavor. It's delicious and the perfect complement to any meal!
Table of Contents
An Easy Southern Cornbread
There's a reason cornbread has stood the test of time and remains an incredible dinnertime staple. I mean, it's so comforting and delicious! With this recipe, I took a traditional skillet cornbread and made it even better by adding two secret ingreidents - cream cheese and sour cream. They make it extra fluffy and give the flavor a little tang to balance out the butteriness.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's easy to make. If you've ever made a recipe that just involves mixing, you have all the skills you need to make this cornbread!
A versatile side. This is one of those sides that can be served with literally anything and everything. I love serving it with soups like my one pot hamburger macaroni soup and comforting meals like my fried chicken without buttermilk. It's also the perfect side for Thanksgiving dinner!
It's a crowd-pleaser. I've never had anyone turn away this cornbread and all my friends and family who have tried it love it! It's totally kid-approved, too, so you know you have a winner with this recipe.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Eggs- room temperature.
- All-purpose flour- for the best texture.
- Cornmeal- essential for any cornbread to get that classic flavor.
- Oil- I used vegetable oil, but another neutral oil will work, too.
- Salt- to enhance the flavor.
- Baking soda- helps the cornbread to get nice and fluffy.
- Cream cheese- adds a delicious richness to the flavor.
- Sour cream- a tangy addition that also adds a little moisture.
How To Make Old Fashioned Cornbread
Step 1: Mix the wet ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Then add the eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, and vegetable oil to a large bowl. Stir everything together until just combined.
Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda.
Step 3: Stir them together. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient mixture and mix the two together until everything fully combines.
Step 4: Transfer the batter. Grease the surface of a cast iron skillet with the vegetable oil. Then pour the batter evenly into the skillet.
Step 5: Bake and serve. Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let it cool a little, and then serve warm with some butter or cream cheese.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Make sure to grease the entire surface of the cast iron skillet! You don't want any part of the cornbread to stick. If you don't want to use oil, butter works great too.
- Leave your cream cheese out on the counter for about 15 minutes before preparing this dish. It will mix into your batter much easier if it has had time to soften to room temperature.
- Don't overcook! Check on the cornbread at about the 20-minute mark to see how it's cooking.
- Sweeten up your slice by drizzling some honey on top. Trust me, it's amazing!
How To Store This Cornbread
Room temperature: Wrap the leftovers in plastic wrap and store them in a sealed bag on your kitchen counter for a day or two
In the fridge: To keep it for longer, transfer the wrapped cornbread to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
In the freezer: To keep it even longer, wrap your cornbread tightly in plastic, pop it into a freezer bag, and freeze for about 3 months.
Reheating: I love putting a slice in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then spreading butter on it.
More Recipes To Try Next
- Sweet potato cornbread
- Martha White cornbread
- Jiffy jalapeno cornbread
- Sour cream biscuits
- Grit cakes
- 4 eggs
- 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cornmeal
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup softened cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Combine the eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir the flour into the cream cheese mixture until everything is combined.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil. Pour the mixture evenly into the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Let the cornbread cool a little, and then serve it with butter, cream cheese, or honey.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 29.2gSaturated Fat: 11.6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 576mgCarbohydrates: 12.7gFiber: 0.6gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 6.8g