This baked frozen chicken breast recipe will change the way you do dinner for the better. It's a lifesaver when you don't have time to go to the grocery store, and it results in perfectly tender and juicy chicken you can pair with anything!
We've all been there, it's almost dinner time, and you forgot to take the meat out of the freezer. Well, there's no need to thaw chicken with this recipe!
You can take the chicken right out of the freezer, add some oil, butter, and seasonings on top, and put it in the oven. Baking frozen chicken breasts has never been easier, and you can have it cooking in under 5 minutes!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It cooks the chicken to perfection. My favorite part about cooking chicken from frozen is that it never turns out dry. With this recipe, you get tender and juicy chicken every single time. So if you typically struggle to cook chicken just right, this recipe is for you.
It saves money. Instead of chicken going bad in the fridge or ordering food because you don't have anything on hand, just stock your freezer with some frozen chicken! Then you'll have a meal on hand whenever you're in a pinch.
So versatile. The chicken breasts this recipe gives you are the perfect blank canvas to build an incredible dinner. You can add them to things like this Olive Garden chicken alfredo or Bear spaghetti. You can also cook a big batch of chicken and use the leftovers in recipes like my million dollar chicken casserole.
- Chicken breasts- frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Oil- olive oil or another neutral oil.
- Seasoning- I love using Italian seasoning, but you can use anything you want.
- Butter- melted to help keep the chicken extra juicy.
How To Bake Frozen Chicken Breast
I can't take full credit for this delicious and easy recipe. I first got the inspiration to make it from this YouTube video I came across when I was getting ideas for new chicken recipes. I made a few small changes to it, but you can also check that video out to see the process of how to cook chicken breasts from frozen.
Step 1: Prep and season the chicken. Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease or spray a baking tray covered with aluminum foil with oil. Place the chicken breasts on the prepared baking tray and cover them completely with the seasonings.
Step 2: Add the oil and butter. Brush the chicken with oil and then pour the melted butter evenly on top of the seasoned chicken breasts.
Step 3: Bake and serve. Put the chicken in the oven and bake it for about 45-60 minutes or until the meat is cooked through. It will have an internal temperature of 165°F when checked at the thickest part with a meat thermometer. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- If you're short on time, you can bake the chicken at 375°F for about 35-50 minutes. Again, make sure to check the internal temperature.
- Check on the chicken frequently towards the end of baking since the time will vary depending on how thick the chicken is. The thicker the chicken, the longer it will take to bake.
- Don't skip the resting step! Allowing the chicken to rest helps the juices to settle back into the chicken breasts.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
If you have any leftovers or want to make a big batch to meal prep for the week, you can store the leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Make sure to let it cool completely before storing.
You can either eat the chicken cold or reheat it. My favorite way to reheat it is to put it in a baking dish and cover it with aluminum foil. Then warm in the oven at 350°F for 10 minutes, flipping it halfway through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I baste the chicken with a sauce or marinade?
Absolutely! I find that adding it to the chicken during the last 15 minutes of baking gets the best results. Try BBQ sauce, Teriyaki sauce, dijon mustard, or sweet chili sauce for delicious takes on this recipe.
Can I use other cuts of chicken?
Yes, this recipe works great with frozen chicken tenders, frozen chicken thighs, and frozen chicken drumsticks. You'll need to adjust the baking time accordingly and cook the tenders for less time and the thighs and drumsticks for more time.
What can I serve these chicken breasts with?
I love serving these baked frozen chicken breasts with some cream cheese mashed potatoes and baguette garlic bread for a comforting meal. The chicken is also a delicious addition to any pasta dish like my French onion pasta. For a light meal, serve it in a house salad or alongside some sliced avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- Frozen chicken in the crock pot
- Frozen meatballs in the crock pot
- Slow cooker frozen roast
- Frozen chicken thighs crock pot recipe
- Air fryer frozen chicken breast
- Chicken salad croissant sandwiches
- 2 frozen chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon oil olive
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease or spray a baking dish covered with aluminum foil with oil.
- Place the chicken breasts on the baking tray and cover it completely with the seasoning mix.
- Brush the chicken with oil and then pour the melted butter all over the chicken breasts.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until cooked through; the internal temperature should be 165°F.
- Rest for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 32g