This squash casserole is so simple and absolutely delicious! It's a perfect blend of tender squash, melted cheese, and crunchy Ritz crackers. It's easily the crowd-favorite at any get-together, and the best part is it takes just 10 minutes to prepare!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's quick to prepare. This recipe doesn't take much time to make at all to prepare to bake. You just lightly cook the squash and onions, mix the filling, assemble the casserole, and bake.
A delicious combination. The milk, eggs, and shredded cheese make an incredible creamy cheese sauce that compliments the tender squash perfectly. Topped with the buttery, crunchy Ritz crackers, it's a side dish everyone is sure to love!
Fit for any occasion. This is one of those sides that works great for a summer cookout, a holiday dinner like Thanksgiving, or just a weeknight dinner with the family.
- Butter- I used unsalted butter.
- Squash- sliced summer squash (green squash or yellow squash).
- Onion- chopped into small pieces.
- Eggs- two small ones.
- Shredded cheddar cheese- or any cheese you want.
- Milk- I used whole milk for a delicious flavor.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
- Olive oil- or any oil as desired.
- Cayenne pepper- for a slight spice.
- Ritz crackers- or desired type of crackers for the crunchy topping.
How To Make Squash Casserole
Step 1: Cook the onions. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a baking dish with some cooking spray. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and sliced yellow squash or green squash. Cook, gently tossing for a few minutes or until the onions are tender and appear translucent. Then remove it from the heat and set it aside.
Step 2: Combine the ingredients. Start by beating the eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Then, add in the cooked squash and onions, and cheddar cheese and give another stir to combine.
Step 3: Build the casserole: Next, transfer the casserole mixture to a casserole dish. Top the casserole with the crushed Ritz crackers and drizzle 1-2 tablespoon of olive oil on top or melted butter.
Step 4: Bake and serve: Put the casserole in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Once golden brown and heated through, remove from the oven and cool the casserole on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Instructions
This is a great make-ahead casserole, so it's super convenient if you're hosting or need something to bring for Thanksgiving. Just bake the casserole as directed and let it cool completely. Then wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight or up to 2 days. When you're ready to serve, warm it up in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until it's heated through.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
If you have any leftovers, let the casserole cool completely, then transfer the leftover squash casserole to an airtight container and refrigerate it for about 4 days. To keep for longer, store the leftover casserole in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 1 month.
The best way to reheat it is to put the leftovers back in a dish and warm them in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes or until it reaches your desired temperature. You can microwave individual portions in 20-second increments, but I think the oven gives it a better texture.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ½ cups sliced summer squash (green or yellow squash)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small eggs
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as desired
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ sleeve Ritz or desired type of crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking dish with some cooking oil.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sliced squash. Cook, gently tossing for a few minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Beat eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Add in squash onions, and cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish. Top the casserole with crushed crackers and drizzle some olive oil on top or melted butter.
- Bake the casserole for 45 minutes.
- Once baked cool the casserole on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 13.2gSaturated Fat: 6.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 17.5gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 5.1gProtein: 8g