This Popeyes chicken sandwich recipe is made with crispy fried chicken, spicy mayo, and crisp pickles, all piled high on buttery buns. You can easily make this famous Popeyes chicken sandwich at home, and it tastes even better than the restaurant!
Table of Contents
The Best Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
It's no secret that Popeyes has the best fried chicken, especially their fried chicken sandwiches. And although the OG chicken sandwich from Popeye's is delicious, I think this homemade version is even better!
The chicken is incredibly crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside, and it's loaded with the perfect blend of spices. It's honestly delicious by itself, but the super crispy and juicy fried chicken tastes even better on brioche buns with some pickles and the homemade chipotle mayo.
The best part, you don't have to wait in line at the drive-thru! Just a few simple steps and you can make it in your own kitchen in no time. Serve it with this Popeyes cajun rice or Popeyes red rice and beans, and you've got a complete Popeye's meal at home.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Perfect marinade. The buttermilk marinade gives the chicken that classic Southern fried chicken flavor, and it helps keep it super moist and tender.
The breading. All of the breading ingredients combine to add another dimension of flavor, and it actually sticks to the chicken while frying.
The sauce. The homemade chipotle mayo in this recipe is as close to Popeyes sauce as you can get, and it's delicious!
Quick and easy to cook. The chicken cooks for only 10 minutes, and it turns out perfect every time.
The ingredient list for this Popeyes chicken sandwich may look long, but I promise they're all pantry staples.
So, let's start with what you'll need for the fried chicken:
- Two 5oz. chicken breasts
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
Here's what you'll need for the spicy mayo:
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce
And to assemble the sandwiches:
- 2 toasted brioche buns
- ¼ cup sliced pickles
How To Make Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
1. Marinate the chicken. Take out a large bowl and add the buttermilk and chicken to it. Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the chicken marinate.
2. Prepare the breading. In another bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Drizzle a couple of spoonfuls of buttermilk into the flour mixture and gently stir everything together.
3. Bread the chicken. When the chicken is done marinating, take it out of the bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the flour mixture on both sides and place it on a wire rack.
4. Fry the chicken. Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep skillet or frying pan to about 350°F. Add the chicken to the hot oil and cook for it for about 6 minutes. Then flip the chicken and cook it for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Drain the chicken on paper towels when it's done frying.
5. Assemble the fried chicken sandwiches. For a Popeyes spicy fried chicken sandwich, make the spicy mayo by mixing the mayonnaise and hot sauce in a bowl. Spread half the spicy mayo on the bottom of the brioche buns. Add the pickles on top, followed by the fried chicken and some more sauce on top. Finish it off with the other bun, serve, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes for the best flavor. I know waiting is the hardest part of this recipe, but it's so worth it. Patience!
- Coat the chicken with the breading evenly on both sides. Once the chicken is breaded, you can let it sit for a few minutes to help the breading stick more.
- Use hot oil. Give the oil time to heat up for the crispiest chicken. About 350°F is a good temperature to start frying the chicken.
- You'll know the chicken is done cooking when the breading is super crispy, and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
How To Store Fried Chicken
In the fridge: Since the recipe makes two sandwiches, you can save the other piece of fried chicken for later. Just transfer the cooked chicken to an airtight container, and it'll last in the fridge for up to 4 days.
In the freezer: To keep it for longer, either store it in a freezer-safe bag or container and keep it in the freezer for about 3-4 months.
Reheating: Place the fried chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and heat in the oven at 400°F for about 10 minutes or until it's warmed through. Just add more cooking time for the frozen fried chicken. Then assemble the Popeyes sandwich as described above.
FAQS About This Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe
What is on a Popeyes chicken sandwich?
The Popeyes chicken sandwich comes loaded with a piece of buttermilk fried chicken, classic mayo, and barrel-cured pickle slices, all sandwiched together by two toasted brioche buns.
What is the difference between the classic Popeyes chicken sandwich and the spicy chicken sandwich?
The only difference between the two Popeyes chicken sandwiches is the spicy chicken sandwich has spicy mayo. I included the spicy mayo in this recipe if you want to make Popeyes spicy fried chicken sandwich but feel free to use regular mayo if you want.
Can I make Popeyes chicken sandwiches in an air fryer?
Yes! If you don't want to fry the chicken, you can use the air fryer, but it won't turn out as crispy. Just air fry the chicken at 375°F for about 20 minutes, flipping it halfway through cooking.
More Copycat Recipes
- Popeyes biscuits
- Chick Fil A grilled chicken sandwich
- McDonald's big mac
- Starbucks grilled cheese
- Zaxby's chicken fingers
- Add buttermilk to a large bowl. Add chicken and marinate it for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, and all of the spices.
- Drizzle a couple of spoons of buttermilk into the flour mixture and gently stir together.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade, season it with salt and pepper, and coat it with the flour mixture on both sides. Place the chicken onto a wire rack.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a skillet.
- Add the chicken and cook for 6 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels.
- Make the spicy mayo; combine mayonnaise and hot sauce in a bowl.
- Assemble the sandwiches; spread half the spicy mayo over the bottom buns. Add pickles, followed by chicken and more spicy mayo on top. Place top buns and serve.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 630Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 55g