This broccoli cornbread recipe is the perfect way to sneak in your daily serving of veggies but in the most delicious way possible. It has everything you love about traditional fluffy cornbread, with the addition of broccoli and cheddar cheese. After one bite, I was hooked, and I think you will be too!
If you love cornbread and are looking for an easy way to eat more vegetables, look no further than this easy broccoli cornbread recipe! It's moist and fluffy, with a slightly crisp top, and filled with tons of cheesy flavor and tender broccoli bits.
It's so delicious and will go with anything you're serving for dinner too, like spinach artichoke chicken casserole for a busy weeknight meal or crock pot turkey breast and cream cheese mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Broccoli Cornbread Recipe
It's easy to make. You just mix the ingredients together, transfer them to your greased baking dish, and then pop the whole thing in the oven. It's shockingly simple!
Healthy-ish cornbread. This is definitely superior to other cornbread recipes. It's a little healthier since it's loaded with chopped broccoli, yet it has that same classic cornbread taste and texture. I always feel good about feeding it to my family, and I think you will too!
Always a winner. You're guaranteed to get compliments when you make this cheesy broccoli cornbread. At least, that's the case whenever I make it. Everyone loves it, and it's totally kid-approved, too. So it's an easy way for your kids to eat more veggies!
- Cornbread mix- I used Jiffy cornbread mix.
- Broccoli- thawed frozen broccoli works best.
- Milk- I prefer whole milk for a richer flavor, but any works.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Olive oil- or any oil.
- Cork- I used drained canned corn to add some extra flavor and texture.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
How To Make Broccoli Cornbread
1. Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or melted butter, and set it aside. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with milk and olive oil. Finally, season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Add the broccoli and corn: Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces and add the chopped broccoli and corn kernels to the egg mixture.
3. Add the remaining ingredients: Stir in the cornbread mix and shredded cheddar cheese until everything is well combined. Spoon the cornbread mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake and serve: Bake the cornbread for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let your Jiffy broccoli cornbread sit for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Be careful not to overmix your cornbread batter. Only stir it until the ingredients are combined for the best fluffy texture with a slight crumb.
- Chop the broccoli into even small-sized pieces for the best texture in each bite.
- Make sure to thaw and drain the frozen broccoli fully. You don't want to add excess liquid to the batter.
- Swap frozen broccoli for fresh broccoli if it's more convenient for you. Just steam the broccoli until it's tender and let it cool before adding it to the batter.
- Top the baked cornbread with honey for a savory and sweet cornbread flavor.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
At room temperature: Wrap the leftover slices in plastic wrap and store them in a ziploc bag or airtight container. It will last on the kitchen counter for about 1-3 days stored like this.
In the fridge: To keep for longer, transfer the cornbread to the fridge, and it'll last for up to 1 week.
In the freezer: Cool the cornbread to room temperature and wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. Freeze it for up to 3 months.
Reheating: You can eat the cornbread straight out of the pantry or fridge, or you can warm it up in the oven. I prefer warming it up. To do that, place it in an oven-safe baking dish covered with aluminum foil and bake it at 350°F for around 10 minutes or until fully reheated.
- Chicken cornbread casserole
- Mexican cornbread casserole
- Old fashioned cornbread
- Jiffy corn casserole
- Sweet potato cornbread
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 16 oz frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 6 small eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup corn kernel
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 baking pan. Whisk the eggs with milk and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the broccoli into smaller pieces.
- Add the broccoli and corn kernels to the egg mixture.
- Stir in the cornbread mix and cheddar cheese until everything is well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased baking pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. It's best if you let it sit for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving Size:1 large slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 180mgSodium: 860mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 10g