This sweet potato crunch casserole is so unique and so delicious. My favorite part is the brown sugar and pecan crumble on top, but the smooth pumpkin spice sweet potato filling is pretty amazing too!
Table of Contents
A Better Sweet Potato Casserole
If you've been following the blog for long, you probably know I have an obsession with casserole recipes. I've probably made close to a hundred and love finding different variations of traditional casseroles to make, and this recipe is just that.
This casserole takes a traditional sweet potato casserole and adds a few secret ingredients to it, along with an incredible topping for an extra crunch and flavor. It's one of my favorite Thanksgiving casseroles for a sweet side or a hearty treat during the fall. Honestly, I crave this casserole all year because it's just so darn good, so feel free to make it whenever!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The flavor is amazing. Creamy sweet potatoes mashed with sugar, vanilla, and a dash of pumpkin pie spice are topped with a buttery pecan and brown sugar topping before being baked to golden brown perfection.
- It's simple to make. All you have to do is combine the sweet potato filling, assemble the casserole, and top it with the crunchy pecan topping. The oven takes over from there, so the hands-on time is kept to a minimum. Perfect if you're hosting or preparing other dishes!
- It's perfect for the holidays. This casserole is full of fresh fall flavors. Pumpkin spice, fluffy sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and crispy pecans are some of the highlights of this recipe, and nothing says Thanksgiving more than this casserole!
Ingredients You'll Need
For the filling:
- Mashed sweet potatoes- use your favorite recipe or my sweet potato puree.
- Milk- I used whole milk for a richer flavor, but anything works.
- Egg- one large one.
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice- you can also use cinnamon instead.
For the topping:
- Brown sugar
- Flour- All-purpose flour works best.
- Pecans- or any nuts, chopped.
- Butter- salted or unsalted and cubed.
How To Make Sweet Potato Crunch Casserole
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a baking dish with some butter or nonstick cooking spray.
2. Make the filling: In a large bowl, combine the sweet potato mash, milk, egg, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk it until smooth, then transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Spread the filling out to make an even layer.
3. Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, and butter. Mix until you have a crumb-like consistency. Spread this pecan mixture evenly over the filling.
4. Bake and serve: Bake the casserole for 40-45 minutes. Then let the casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- I've made this recipe with fresh sweet potatoes and canned sweet potatoes, and it always turns out great. So use whatever is more convenient for you, and make sure they are well drained before mashing.
- Add other nuts like walnuts or hazelnuts to the crunchy pecan topping.
- Cut the butter into small squares for the topping. It makes for the best consistency.
- Be patient and let the casserole cool so the filling can firm up a little before serving. About ten minutes will do the trick.
How To Store This Sweet Potato Casserole
In the fridge: Cover the casserole dish with a lid or transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and store for up to 4 days.
In the freezer: Allow the casserole to cool completely, then freeze it in a freezer-safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
Reheating: I've found the best way to reheat a bunch of leftovers is to put them back in a dish and warm them in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. You can microwave individual scoops in 30-second increments for a quicker method.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes, this recipe can easily be made ahead of time. Just prepare the casserole as directed in this recipe, cover it with foil, and store it in the fridge until you're ready to bake. When you're ready to bake, let it come to room temperature, and then bake as directed.
Can I add a different topping?
Yes, the filling is also delicious with marshmallows on top. Add the marshmallows towards the end of baking and watch them closely so they don't burn. You can also add marshmallows to the crunchy topping for another layer of texture and flavor.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Grandma's old fashioned sweet potato pie
- Sweet potato souffle
- Sweet potato biscuits
- Sweet potato pecan pie
- Sweet potato cornbread
Sweet potato filling:
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease the baking dish with some butter.
- Add sweet potatoes with milk, egg, sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl.
- Whisk until smooth and transfer into the baking dish. Spread the filling until smooth.
- Make the topping; combine the topping ingredients in a bowl until you have crumbs.
- Spread the topping over the filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool the casserole for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g