These tender baked beans are saucy and rich with savory spices and the perfect amount of sweetness from brown sugar. They make an easy and delicious side dish that's a must at any barbecue or get-together. The best part is that this baked beans recipe is made with canned baked beans and comes together in literally just 10 minutes!
Table of Contents
The Best Baked Beans
This easy baked beans recipe is the quickest way to transform a can of basic baked beans into an incredible side dish.
These hearty beans are soft and tender, packed with so much flavor, and are so warm and comforting. You'd never believe this was a baked beans recipe using canned beans! Traditional baked bean recipes can take hours to make from scratch, so this quick and tasty shortcut is perfect for busy weeknights or last-minute get-togethers!
If you're looking for what to serve with baked beans, you can't go wrong with these boneless pork ribs or Southern style pigs feet to complete a classic Southern meal. They're also a delicious side for the holidays served with things like this Jiffy corn casserole and creamed peas.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Convenient. This delicious baked beans recipe starts with canned beans and other pantry staples and is cooked in a microwave, so it's an incredibly effortless dish you can make practically anywhere.
Tastes homemade. Tangy, savory, and lightly sweetened, the tender beans taste like they were cooked for hours from scratch but only take minutes to make!
Makes a big batch. These baked beans with brown sugar are perfect for feeding a big group or for stocking plenty of leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
- Beans- canned baked beans. Canned pork and beans works great too for a heartier dish.
- Brown sugar- for the addictive sweetness.
- Onion powder and garlic powder- to add some savory flavor.
- Ketchup- the main part of the sauce.
- Mustard- to add a little tang.
- Smoked paprika- for a little spice.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
How To Make Baked Beans
1. Combine the ingredients: Add the canned baked beans, brown sugar, onion powder, ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper to a microwave-safe bowl or casserole dish. Stir until everything is well combined.
2. Microwave: Place a vented cover over the beans and microwave the baked bean mixture for 5 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, stir the beans to heat them evenly throughout.
3. Serve: Serve warm alone or with anything you want. Enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- To make it on the stovetop, combine all the ingredients in a pot and simmer over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For an oven-baked version, transfer the baked beans mixture to a baking dish and cook in an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C) for 15-20 minutes.
- Make Southern-style baked beans by adding a little barbecue sauce, some chopped green bell pepper, and crispy bacon slices for garnish.
- Turn it into Boston baked beans with Worcestershire sauce, molasses, and salt pork or bacon strips.
- You can make it a complete meal by adding cooked ground beef, chunks of ham, or leftover braised meat.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
In the fridge: Transfer the leftover baked beans into an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Let the baked beans cool, then transfer them to a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag with the extra air squeezed out. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or add more reheating time.
Reheating: Place your baked beans in an oven-safe dish with a couple of tablespoons of water or stock. Cover with foil and bake in an oven preheated to 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes, stirring them halfway through. You can also reheat them in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each interval, until warm throughout.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are baked beans healthy to eat?
Yes, they are a good source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Homemade baked beans are the healthiest choice, while canned baked beans tend to be higher in sodium and sugar, so they should be eaten in moderation.
What beans are baked beans made out of?
Baked beans are usually made with white beans such as navy beans, cannellini beans, or great northern beans.
What can I add to my canned baked beans?
You can make canned baked beans taste homemade and delicious by adding condiments like bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, or mustard. Make them sweeter with brown sugar or maple syrup, and add savoriness with bacon grease, chopped ham, or garlic and onions.
More Easy Bean Recipes
- Mexican pinto beans
- Butter beans with ham
- Popeyes red beans and rice
- Grandma Brown's baked beans
- Northern beans with smoked ham
- 2 14oz. canned baked beans
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ketchup
- ¾ teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir well and microwave with a vented cover for 5 minutes. Make sure to stir the beans halfway through.
- Serve warm.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g